Hello from Ontario, Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WolfeIslander

Hi ...

I'm Hugh MacDonald and my hobby is blacksmithing. However, it got a bit hot this summer (smile) so I took up pen turning and converted the other end of my smithy into a small woodworking shop. I've made about thirty pens now and I've caught the 'bug'. This is fun, relaxing and a great challenge.

My metalwork drill press, however, isn't proving to be up the challenge (the longer drill bits) ... so, I'm about to start using a drill chuck on the lathe. I also hope this will also allow me to drill some deer antler sections as pen blanks.

I'm also interested in learning how to make dip pens for the local calligraphers.

Anyway ... greetings all. I'm looking forward to listening and learning from everyone here.

Regards,
Hugh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Welcome from Texas, Hugh. Don't understand the longer drill bits -- is your drill press storke less than 3"? That will cover most pen blanks.

WolfeIslander

Thanks for the advice about drilling on the lathe, and about the longer drills ... I'll keep it in mind. I just bought the drill chuck ... I'll try it out when I get back to the shop in a couple of weeks. I'm stuck in the city until then. Regards, Hugh

Last edited:

WolfeIslander

Good guess (smile) ...

Ontario is about 415,000 square miles ... (Texas, just as a comparison, is 268,000). Wolfe Island is at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River where it drains Lake Ontario. One side faces Canada, the other upper New York State. The US border is a couple of hundred yards offshore.

I work part-time in Toronto (about 3 hours east) and spend as much time as I can on the Island -- which is serviced by a car ferry from Kingston, ON. In the summer, there is also a small car ferry to Cape Vincent on the US side.

Probably more information than you wanted ... but, you asked.

Regards,
Hugh

welcome, welcome. just a heads up. beating a pen on an anvil may not turn out too well.

where in ontario?

sorry i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess 'wolfe island'

Last edited:
Top Bottom