Hello from Ontario

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beep119

Hello all, I'm new to all of this so please be gentle;)
I have been wanting to get into this hobby for years now and finally doing it!
Just a quick question if you don't mind, what lathe is a good and reliable on to get ?
I am looking at different brands and price ranges right now 200-400
Some lathes I am eyeing right now are:
Craftex CSA CX801
Craftex CSA CT 172
I have read some bad reviews on Craftex lathes, any thoughts?
King Canada KWL-1016C
Not much reviews for King Canada, anyone have this and can give advice?
General 25-010
Seems pretty light weight for a lathe, anyone have this?
Also, any lathes from harbor freight tools? I have read mixed reviews about these lathes, but the price is pretty good around 150-300, i can go across the border to get one if need be, just not sure about paying the duties would be worth the trip though.
Also, Jet lathes...more money but are they worth the extra coin for a beginner?
And any other lathe recommendations for a beginner that can be bought in Canada?

Thank you everyone
S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP from the other side of the country !!

My advice is, if you are serious about turning, and I think you are, spend the extra coin and get a decent lathe ... you won't regret it ... and get one with electronic variable speed (not sure if the Craftex lathes you mentioned have that).

Frankly, on Craftex lathes, you are paying nearly top dollar for a lathe that will probably disappoint you as far as quality and features go. I have a Craftex metal-turning lathe and that has been my experience.

Last edited:

JimB

Welcome from western New York State.

I have a Jet 1014 VS (variable speed). It has been very reliable since I bought it 7 years ago. They don't make it any more but the current version is the Jet 1015. Jet also has a 1220 that has more capacity and some other features. If I was to replace my 1014 I would get the 1220 as it can do a lot more due to the extra size and more powerful motor. I have a floor model grizzly lathe for turning larger items.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.

If you are on a limited budget, this HF lathe is a reasonable choice. Rockler sells the exact same lathe in a black color with their Excelsior name on it. I bought one a little over 2 years ago from Rockler and I am very happy with it. It is not variable speed though.
Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed

If you can afford a little better lathe, then I would certainly consider a Jet or something similar.

beep119

I'm really thinking the jet lathe 1015 vs...anyone know where in Ontario, Canada they sell Jet lathes. Kitchener waterloo area, or within a one hour drive or so.

Super Dave

Welcome from sunny SW Florida. I have a Jet 10-14 and I bought a harbor freight variable speed mini lathe for my daughter. Get the best lathe you can afford. The Harbor Freight lathes are ok for the money, but you might outgrow them, they are low in power. It would also recommend variable speed, changing belts are a pain. Good Luck...

Dave

darrin1200

Welcome aboard S

I would guess from your post that your are in the KW area. I still have family there.

I don't believe that they sell Jet in Canada. Picking a small lathe is going to be based on budget. If you want to stay under 400, it could be tough.

I wouldn't touch the mastercraft from Canadian Tire or the Hausman from Rona, unless someone gives it to you free. They are very underpowered and could prove very frustrating for you.

While Craftex has had a less than stellar reputation, I have heard that the new CX series is actually a reasonable quality. I'm considering their 10X22 metal lathe.

If you were closer, I could probably help you out. I have a Delta 200 that I will probably be selling in the next month for about $225. I would say that it is the equal to the Craftex CSA CX801. I think if you can't find a used Delta or General International for about $200, then the CX would be a good option.
The HF 10"X18 would probably fit in here as well, but there is a few things to account. Exchange rate, gas and travel time. Waranty and exchange issues if something is wrong. As well as possible taxes and maybe duty coming over the border. You might not save that much.

Don't forget though that you will need a few tools and things. Could easily run another $100-200.

If you have a little bigger budget, $600-800, then I would recommend a variable speed, either Delta or General International. I would lean towards the General, because of the larger capacity and bigger motor. You can also turn outboard on it.

Overall, I think the CX801 on sale is definitely an option.

For tools, keep an eye on Canadian Tire for this chisel set, it was my first set. It comes on sale often for 1/2 price. At that price its all right, especially if you have some CT money kicking around.
Mastercraft 6-piece Chisel Set | Canadian Tire

If you are in KW, you are lucky, because William WoodWrite is just over in Guelph. He is where I went to get started with pen turning. While they don't have a regular storefront, if you give him a call you can usually drop in to their homebased store. Bill is a wealth of knowledge. I used to drop in every couple of weeks when I was driving through the area.

Welcome aboard. Let me know if you have any questions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I also have a JEt 1014 (Non VS) and love it. I also have a larger Nova, but the Jet is still a great machine for me.

Welcome to IAP!

Have FUN.

beep119

Thanks for everyone input. I think the jet might be out of the question due to...non around...lol.
But has anyone tried or know any info on the Nova comet II lathe?
A place near me sells them and says they are a nice lathe, but is it?

beep119

Ok I've narrowed it down to Craftex cx801 or the Nova Comet II
thoughts?
The Nova is $200 more...ouch!
Is it worth the $200 more?

JimB

I've never used either but going by the specs the Comet is definitely worth an extra $200. The Comet has a larger motor, it has electronic variable speed, 12" vs 10" swing and longer bed. All those things will be important if you start turning larger items such as bowls.

beep119

Ok just visited my local woodworking dealer
Steel city 60155G or the Nova Comet II
thoughts on these?
I've never heard of the steel city brand before but it's on sale $100 off
So would be 400 for steel city vs 579 for Nova.

JimB

There's a lot of similarities between the two. The biggest differences I can see is the Nova has a bigger motor and it's reversible.

The bigger 3/4 HP will help when doing bowls, especially hard wood. I just turned a 6" ash bowl on my Jet VS with the 1/2 HP and it struggled with it. I'm sure it would have helped if I had changed the belt as I would have had more torque, I think. I normally use my larger lathe for bowls.

Some people like reverse for sanding/finishing. I don't have that feature on either of my lathes.

As I said earlier, I've never used the lathes you are looking at. I'm only going by the spec sheet. I think they are both good choices. If you plan on doing bowls at some point then get the Nova. If you are only going to do pens and other small projects then go with the Steel City. One word of caution though. Many people plan to only do small items then they start doing bowls and larger items and wish they had bought a bigger lathe. That is how I ended up with 2 lathes.

Rick_G

If you are looking at craftex forget the CT172. The description says the spindle and tailstock taper are MT1. Accessories are not easy to find. You want a MT2 for both.

I don't think you would be happy with the General you mentioned, it is light and would not be good for much but pens and bottle stoppers. If you are anything like the rest of us once you start turning you will want to do more than just pens. It's only 3 speeds and the slowest speed is way to fast for much more than pens or bottle stoppers.

I've had the CX802 for a couple years now and my only complaint is no handwheel on the headstock. The CX801 does not have variable speed but other than that would likely be fine. Like Darren I have a Delta LA200 that just sits on the bench taking up space now that I have the larger lathe with variable speed. I would have no problem selling it for about $200. I'm about 45 minutes west of London along the 401.

Also watch Kijiji you may be able to pick up one closer to you. 2 things to stay away from are MT! tapers on the spindle or tailstock because of difficulty locating accessories and anything without a solid cast iron frame.

beep119

thank you everyone for replies..
i am leaning towards the Steel City Lathe...$200 cheaper and a 2 year warranty.
Nova is a 1 year on motor and 2 year on parts
Unless someone else has experiences with the Steel City?
I will probably change my mind about 20 times over the weekend anyways..lol
Here is a link to the Steel city...let me know what you guys think
http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/media/wysiwyg/60100G-60155G_Spec_Sheet_WEB_1.29.14.pdf

Last edited:

darrin1200

darrin1200

thanks darrin1200 for that info, back to the drawing board...lol

I've had the CX802 for a couple years now and my only complaint is no handwheel on the headstock. The CX801 does not have variable speed but other than that would likely be fine. Like Darren I have a Delta LA200 that just sits on the bench taking up space now that I have the larger lathe with variable speed. I would have no problem selling it for about $200. I'm about 45 minutes west of London along the 401.

Also watch Kijiji you may be able to pick up one closer to you. 2 things to stay away from are MT! tapers on the spindle or tailstock because of difficulty locating accessories and anything without a solid cast iron frame.

You might want to consider Rick's offer. He's been doing pens for quite a while.
The Delta LA200 is a good starter. Its inexpensive and if cared for, holds its value. It won't do big bowls, but for pens and small bowls, its great. I actually bought my first Delta from an old time woodturner (Leo), down in London.
I have had two of these in my shop. I sold the first to fund its replacement, a Oneway 1224. Now I'm selling the second to fund a mini metal lathe. My pen making is taking a new direction.

The added advantage, is you would get a chance to talk to Rick and pick his brain.

darrin1200

i think it is now down to King Canada or Craftex...the nova is to pricey and Steel City going out of business scares me now to buy one...lol
So if you guys could help me decide with experiences you have had with any of these i would appreciate it.
King Canada KWL-1016C
King Canada KWL-1016C 10" X 16" Wood Lathe

Craftex CX801
Buy Wood Lathe Bench Top Craftex Csa at Busy Bee Tools

Thank you again for everyones help

You posted quick. I think you will find that they are pretty well the same machine. If I had to pick between the two, I personally would go with the Craftex. I have a number of Craftex tools, and I don't have any issues with them. I always find its nice to have a physical store to go into when I can.

Looking at the specs of both machines, they look identical to my LA200

Attachments

• 20150523_091555.jpg
    20150523_091555.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 163

Rick_G

I'm with Darrin on this if you are down to those two I would go with the Craftex. It has the advantage of optional bed extensions so if you want to turn longer items such as peppermills you can. Prices and specs on both machines are almost the same.

The London store is likely your best bet considering the traffic and you can see it from the 401.
I bought this tool set when I first started and am still using them Buy Chisel Set Deluxe Hss For Lathe 6pcs at Busy Bee Tools although they were on sale for $60 at the time.
A set like this or the ones Darrin mentioned are a lot easier on the pocketbook while you learn to sharpen them. Nothing like watching a tool you paid $60 or more for get shorter and shorter while learning to sharpen it properly.

If you don't have a grinder but do have a belt sander here's a video by Captn Eddie on sharpening using a belt sander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaqIGVmVHY8

He likely has more "how to" video's on turning than any one else out there.
Don't be scared of Craftex tools, my tablesaw, jointer, air cleaner and dust collector are all Craftex and after initial setup and tuning have served me well for over 10 years.

Rick_G

I just got this email from the London woodturning club might be worth checking him out as well. If you pm me your email address I will forward it to you as there are photos as well. No price but looks like everything you would need.

> Hi Bob
> Many thanks for distributing my Tools for Sale. I do appreciate it!
>
> The only thing that is not there but which I included in my email to John is that I want to sell the whole business as a batch rather than breaking it up. If it's not too late to advise your members of that it might save them a lot of wasted time since I'd have to decline if they just wanted one or two items from the list. I'm hoping the whole package is more attractive than individual bits and pieces.
>
> Regards,
> Ramsay
>
>
>
>> Please contact Ramsay Holmes at tzam@me.com or 289-337-1430 directly if interested.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Turning Tools and Equipment For Sale in Burlington Ontario
>>>
>>> Contact Ramsay Holmes at tzam@me.com or 289-337-1430
>>>
>>> 1 General International Maxi Lathe
>>>
>>> 1 MT2 Jacobs Chuck and Key
>>>
>>> 3" 1-8tpi Faceplate
>>>
>>> 1 Axminister bowl turning button jaws with matching chuck
>>>
>>> 1 Palmgren 3250 rpm Grinder
>>>
>>> 1 Grinder Stand
>>>
>>> 1 Oneway Wolverine Sharpening Jig
>>>
>>> 1 Oneway MT2 Tailstock Live Centre and Accessories
>>>
>>> 1 Screw Chuck
>>>
>>> 1 Steb Centre
>>>
>>> 1 Oneway Chuck Spur
>>>
>>> 12 Henry Taylor Woodturning Tools
>>>
>>> 5 Robert Sorby Woodturning Tools
>>>
>>> 2 Oneway Termite Hollowing Tools
>>>
>>> 1 Wooden Mallet
>>>
>>> 1 Multi-Scraper Woodturning Tool by Robert Sorby
>>>
>>> 3 Easy Woodturning Tools:
>>>
>>> Ci1 Large Square End
>>>
>>> Ci0 Large Round End
>>>
>>> Ci5 Round Under Lip Scraper
>>>
>>> David Springett Chinese Ball Tool Set & Book
>>>
>>> Beal Buffing System
>>>
>>> Robert Sorby Fingernail Profiler 445
>>>
>>> Many Pen Blanks, Hardware, Pen Mandrels and Pen cases
>>>
>>> 11 Hardwood Bowl Blanks
>>>
>>> Misc Hardwood Turning Blanks suitable for boxes etc
>>>
>>> Large number of high quality woodturning books and DVD's.
>>>

beep119

ok...got a lathe...FOR FREE!
Old guy next door is moving and was cleaning out his garage, I see him walking over to me with a lathe and says "you want this?" We were talking about lathes last week so he knew I was looking.
As he walks closer I notice the brand Mastercraft...SCORE!!!
Yes Im kidding about being excited about the brand, but its a free lathe so i figure why not try it out.
Thing is like brand new, he said he used it maybe once or twice, he didn't say for what.
Only thing is when i bring the tailstock to the headstock it is pretty much dead on, but once i start screwing the end out, towards the headstock...not sure it there is a technical term to this...lol, and then tighten it, it kind of goes out by about a mm or so. Does not seem like much, but i am wondering if turning something like pens will be affected. I tried finding if all lathes have this type of dilemma or is it just because this lathe is a cheap one.
I did read that lathes can go out of alignment and a mm or so is nothing to worry about. Especially turning things like pens.
I figure if this is acceptable I will use this lathe as a learner and then in 6 months or so spend the money on a better one.
Thoughts?

darrin1200

Good score.

As long as you can make shavings, you can learn.

Off by 1mm is quite a bit. Play with it a little. It sounds like something has to much play. If you can narrow down what is moving you may be able to either shim it or work around it.

When you say it moves when you tighten it, do you mean when you tighten the tailstock to the bed or the tailstock quill?

If the former, it may be play between the bed rails and the tailstock. See if the tailstock has some twisting movement before you tighten it. If so, try pushing the tailstock all the way to one side or the other, hold it there while you gentle apply the lock. See if it stays lined up. If it does, then you can either hold the tailstock everytime you lock it or you could apply some shims to the guide piece under the tailstock to get a good fit.

If it is in the quill, I'm not sure about fixing. Does the quill have sideways movement before you lock it? Does the amount of movement change depending on how far it is extended? It could be a worn bearing inside the tailstock. If there isn't much movement when the quill is retracted, then you may be able to work around by simply not extending it much.

Either way, you have something to start on. Did it come with a couple of chisels?

Have fun with it.

JimB

Great score. Congrats. If you post what direction (up, down, back, forward) it is out of alignment I'm sure you will get some great advice on how to fix it.

beep119

The tailstock quill has a bit of movement when I screw it out, it seems aligned when all the way in, but if i screw it towards the tailstock it kind of goes moves around a bit as I am turning the hand wheel. I think if i just push the tailstock all the way to mandrel, once i get one, it might just hold position.
No it didn't come with any chisels.

Last edited:

beep119

you guys think this mastercrap...i mean mastercraft lathe will do the trick for the time being?

Curly

Yes and welcome too! :)
I think you should read up on turning between centres (might have to search the site with "centers" though) and skip the pen mandrel altogether. If you turn between centres any slight misalignment issues between the headstock/tailstock is negated. Then the only time the misalignment is a problem is if you intend to drill the blanks with the lathe too. If you have a tolerably decent drill press then you don't need the lathe to drill with.

beep119

Well, made a few pens...I made a few slimelines, sierras, and magnum bolt actions.
I have 2 people who want to buy the magnums, but I have no Idea how much to ask them.
I figure I am about 20-25 in for each, but since these are some of my first pens the quality won't be there like the pros;)
How much you think is fair?
I'll post a pic once I figure out how.

Top Bottom