Hello from an old member

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Hello Penturners. It has been a very long time since I came to this site. So thought I would re introduce myself. My name really is Daniel. I was one of the very first members of this group. Way way back. I remember when Yahoo groups for penturners was the best thing going on the net. Me and a few others started making comments about how many conversations got lost and had to be revisited. and a couple of very bold souls gave birth to this place. I still recall my personal invite by one of them. And my first visit to the forum that resulted. there where maybe 12 forum topics and maybe half a dozen posts. My original introduction was one of them. It seemed to take of with an explosion from there. Becoming the single greatest example of an internet community I have yet to witness to this day. I hope it has retained that characteristic. IN addition I pretty much gave birth to the group buy idea. Starting with the CA group buy that I hope is still functioning today. A project that required I get people to trust me for paying me up front for a $150 order of CA. it took me over a month to get the first set of orders in the bag. Many due to a few very good friends and people that simply put their trust in me and wanted to see the project succeed. Most of them did not nee glue. After the first order the program took off. I fairly quickly turned it over to Monty. I went on to develop the group buy idea over quite a few products. my last being a huge order directly from India for leather pen cases. That one almost ended in a huge disaster and required over 8 months to complete. Thank goodness I had a well established reputation by that time and a large group of people that where sympathetic. That group buy as well as other things I saw starting to happen within that who idea caused me to rethink where the group buy mentality was leading my friends. In short people here trusted the group buy process and it began to make the vulnerable to fraud. so I removed my support of it. Group buys where also pretty much my entire reason to participate in this group. So without doing them. my participation dwindled to non existence. I did make one other attempt at supply some out of the mainstream supplies by rearing chickens for feathers. back when feather blanks where the latest and greatest thing. But that turned out o be about a two year adventure that flopped. So life has gone on. I do not do a lot of turning lately because my son lives in my shop. But I have gone on with my creative and artistic bent. I used to comment a lot and get into debates with other penturners about the artistic merit of penturning. is it an art? Does it require any artistic skills. Back then I did not have a lot to offer as far as my experience with art. Except my pens. and it is a bit hard to demonstrate artistic knowledge of a pen when all you have as an example of art is a pen. Well in the last 19 months I have applied myself to a lifelong desire to draw highly realistic portraits. Now I have always done various forms of art. wood carving. ceramic. clay sculpture. drawing painting etc. But I was one of those that always said. I cannot draw people. I wanted very badly to be able to set down and do a good likeness of a person in charcoal. Like the artist will do of you on the sidewalk for $40. many years ago I found a book that I attempted such portraits just long enough to be convinced that I could do it. but I never attempted it. Then 19 months ago I found a book title. Drawing Lifelike Heads. by Lance Richlin. I purchased it brought it home and was off. Now learning to draw is much like learning to turn. it si a process and you do what you do at first. identify what needs to be improved and purchase a bunch of crap to make your creations better. Except pencils are far cheaper than turning tools. I want to share with all of you this. it is one of my latest finished works. I have 11 more drawings currently in progress. But for the old salts that remember me I think this will be something fun to see. This is a pencil drawing done by me. Her name is Adriana Cernanova.
1_Adriana_Cernanova_Final_penturners.jpg

And with that. I also say turning a pen is an artistic activity.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Oh nearly forgot. I also retured after 30 years of service to the University of Nevada Reno. Been retired for a month now. maybe that is part of why I came back here to visit.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Stunning portrait, Daniel.

Welcome back! We have been waiting (You were before my time, but I have read many of your posts).

Thank you for sharing.

Charlie_W

Welcome back Daniel! I recognize your name and avatar and probably seeing you post.
Your drawing is superb!! The detail in the hair is so fine. I find her eyes to be most captivating.
Excellent work!

wood-of-1kind

Hi Daniel, it is good hearing from you hope that you and family are well. You may have taken a long hiatus from IAP but you are never forgotten. You certainly continue to have a creative flair and your portrait of Adriana is fabulous. Take care and hope that you once again continue to post here and show us some more of your artistry.

Daniel

Good to see some friends here. some new ones and some old ones. Robert. A bit disappointed that you are not a Betty. Actually I was aware of that situation but still had to say something. Wood-of-1kind nice to see you are still around. I saw a recent post from ed4copies as well. I expect to stop in more frequently.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome back. I read this post just after I answered your PM, so it answered my PM questions.
Excellent pencil drawing. I can't draw a line without a ruler.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome back Daniel! Good to hear from you again! As mentioned above, something from a previous post of yours came up last week and it made me wonder where you were or what happened to you.

Beautiful drawing! Really beautiful.

Stay around for a while if you can!

Daniel, welcome back. I was good at drawing, had a degree in art. Having had to choose between teaching art and a better income, I didn't get to make a career of it. You are doing fine and the portrait appears to have captured her features AND personality. Well done.

Bob in SF

Wonderful portrait, Daniel!

I also enjoy doing artwork - nice how drawing stops time and turning whips it along.

Glad to meet you!

- Bob

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Daniel, thanks for stopping in and for the PM. You were one of those who joined on our first full day of operation, Jan 1, 2004. We were just young guys back then! Where has the time gone.

its_virgil

Welcome back Daniel. I too joined on 1/1/2004. I hope you can find some turning time now that you are retired. Excellent job on that pencil drawing you posted.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Woodchipper

Amazing pencil drawing. Did you turn the pencil? j/k That is photo quality. I had a former neighbor who was an artist, among his many talents. I looked at a picture of a Holstein cow in the hallway and asked where the photo was taken. His wife replied that it was a painting!

scotian12

Hi Daniel....welcome back. I too joined your group buy on the pen cases from India ad still have a few around.. it certainly was quite a journey and a lot of work and stress for you. Now you are retired (congratulations) and have time to make those wonderful paintings, sketches. Stay for awhile, and comment on the artistry of our members. Regards Darrell

1080Wayne

Beautiful drawing Daniel . Delighted to hear from you . Still have some leather cases and also some wood blanks you sent me to welcome me as a new member . Please show us some more of your drawings when they are completed . How many hours in that one ?

Top Bottom