Hello From Oklahoma!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okmatt

Hello everyone! I live about an hour North of Tulsa. I purchased a new harbor freight 10 x 18 central lathe on January 1rst. So look for a lot of rookie questions right out of the chute.

So to get us started... I really enjoy turning but I can not lie it would be great to sell some pens to support the hobby, so with that in mind what are the most popular finishes for you guys? I realize that this could vary in different locations but I would like to hear what sells the best for you. Do you have any that just don't sell?

Also since I am a beginner I have ordered a couple of dozen slimline kits. If I want to go ahead and up my game what other kinds of pens or Pencils would sell well?

One Last thing what are the best selling woods?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP, Matt.

The Library has lots of great information and we are here to answer questions too!

Library: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

Pen turners and what they wished they had learned earlier: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/

Out of Date but still helpful: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf

Under Library> PenTurning 101> look at all of the great information for those new to pen turning.

Your questions on wood: Everyone has preferences . . . and preferences change to. Don't just limit your turning to wood. Resin cast blanks are great too, as are aluminum and even steel and copper. AS to what pens sells best, that is up to your market's preference, your pricing and your fit & finish. As to fit and finish, you are a cabinet maker, so you know some things on that - Some people are just finicky.

What Hank has written is right on. When I first started turning, 40 years ago, I spent hours learning how my tools worked and getting very familiar with my lathe, which I still have. The first wood I turned was pine for legs on a desk I was making.
As for pens, I started by turning 6 slim lines and then progressed to other styles and kits. I've been turning pens for just a year now and have my favorite kits and I've sold pens from many different kits too. I've turned many species of wood but at the current time I turn a lot of Koa (both Curly and straight grained) which is shipped to and sold in Hawaii to one of my bigger customers. I'll be turning some acrylic next month, which I've never turned before. Should be interesting.
My suggestion to you would be to get very comfortable with your tools and lathe. Try different species of wood and find what you like. My biggest selling pen right now is the comfort pen which I never thought would take off. Most importantly, have fun and work around the issues you might encounter.

okmatt

What Hank has written is right on. When I first started turning, 40 years ago, I spent hours learning how my tools worked and getting very familiar with my lathe, which I still have. The first wood I turned was pine for legs on a desk I was making.
As for pens, I started by turning 6 slim lines and then progressed to other styles and kits. I've been turning pens for just a year now and have my favorite kits and I've sold pens from many different kits too. I've turned many species of wood but at the current time I turn a lot of Koa (both Curly and straight grained) which is shipped to and sold in Hawaii to one of my bigger customers. I'll be turning some acrylic next month, which I've never turned before. Should be interesting.
My suggestion to you would be to get very comfortable with your tools and lathe. Try different species of wood and find what you like. My biggest selling pen right now is the comfort pen which I never thought would take off. Most importantly, have fun and work around the issues you might encounter.

Thanks for the input! I know every market is different but it seems like there are about 4,000 kit options on the market! So input from anyone on what sells well for them is a great place to start.

Also if anyone has any input on the pen kit metal finishes that would be great as well.

magpens

Matt,

This kit was first introduced by PennStateInd.com a few years ago. . We usually call that company PSI. You can buy from them, but you can also buy from other vendors like ExoticBlanks.com, which I recommend much more highly because of their fantastic service, selection, and because of their great discount policy. Check them out if you haven't already. If you have further questions about where to buy things for the best price and best quality and best service, please don't hesitate to shoot me a Private Message.

Yes, a 30 Caliber Bolt Action with an Antler blank is a great combo. . But where to buy the antler is always a problem. . There are private vendors who pop up from time to time here on IAP ... watch for them and then keep in touch with them.

All the best in your pen-making "career".

Hi Matt !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Try the 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit.

Thanks for the input the 1 thing I seem to constantly hear is that a bolt action kit made with deer antler is a great seller. Where do you buy your kits from?

Top Bottom