Hello from northern SF Bay Area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike GW

Glad to be part of the group. I am just getting started with pen turning. I've been interested in this for a while, but never took the financial plunge to get it going. I have recently been able to buy a mini lathe from HF along with starter kit materials from PSI. I've checked out some books from the library and will give my first try at turning a slimline pen sometime this weekend.

I'm looking forward to learning much from the veteran pen turners on this forum. Thanks for letting me be a part! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Welcome Mike!!! If I wasn't headed out of state for several years, I'd give ya a hand! Look up Greg from the Central/Northern Cal IAP chapter. Great guy and they get together in Pleasanton every few months. I think my first pen cost about $800...the next one was $4.

Last edited:

plano_harry

Welcome from Texas Mike! Just a heads up. The IAP Birthday bash will be starting in a few days and there are several members who offer some nice discounts during the bash, so don't spend all your money before the party starts! Plus you are eligible for the beginners contest so you could win some really cool prize.

Most of us start on slims, but those suckers are harder to turn than the bigger ones! Pick up a medium sized kit you like and some extra tubes. You don't have to punch it together unless you like the finished tubes, so your risk is minimal. While you are at HF, get a couple of those 6" digital calipers (always on sale) to measure your actual hardware. Those are the key to great pens, not the bushings.:wink:

Good Luck!

Harry

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome Mike!!! If I wasn't headed out of state for several years, I'd give ya a hand! Look up Greg from the Central/Northern Cal IAP chapter. Great guy and they get together in Pleasanton every few months. I think my first pen cost about $800...the next one was $4.

Gee Jim... why be discouraging... I bet the first was $1000 and the next $2.00.

But... Maybe I lie...

Mike: ENJOY!!! :)

rthines

Welcome Mike.....Books are fine but look at the library link above! Also no teacher like turning on the lathe, trial and error.

Jim Burr

Banned

Gee Jim... why be discouraging... I bet the first was $1000 and the next $2.00.

Sorry to offend you Mark...JMHO and experience.

Top Bottom