Hello from North Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bikeshooter

Hello all,

My name is David Womack and I am semi retired in Jacksonville Florida. I have been a woodworker on and off since the mid 80's. I gave up lathe work about 10 years ago when a 4 pound block of cedar flew off and just missed my face - I got in too deep with a chisel. I currently make craft items, boxes and small accent tables. 99% of my wood comes from storm/wind damage fall overs and urban logging. I mill and dry my own stock.

Honesty ought be a standard rather than a policy. In that light, I generate a lot of drop offs that would make some nice pens and will be offering some here when I get them ready. Spalted live oak and nicely colored eastern red cedar will be offered first.

My user name comes from my activities as a track photographer from '05 to '09. I photographed motorcycle races at 4 tracks here in Florida. Photography in general is still an interest of mine that is pretty much a on the back burner now.

Have been married 41 years to the same wonderful woman and have 2 grown and gone children.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome David, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Welcome!

I am fellow but currently displaced Floridian.

I make turkey calls for wounded warriors and have not tried but have been wanting to try cedar so if you have any blocks 1" thick 5 x 5 would love to try and turn out a thunder chicken call out of them to give to an American hero here in the spring.

bikeshooter

Welcome!

I am fellow but currently displaced Floridian.

I make turkey calls for wounded warriors and have not tried but have been wanting to try cedar so if you have any blocks 1" thick 5 x 5 would love to try and turn out a thunder chicken call out of them to give to an American hero here in the spring.

Please check your pm's.

Top Bottom