Hello from North Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Scrivner

I started turning through a Shopsmith class back around 1990. As a supplement to the class, we were shown how to turn pens. My first pens were on a Shopsmith and I learned how to make my own friction polish. I still have an early one and it's horrible.
I liked turning and around 1991 I got a Bonnie Klein mini lathe and her VHS tapes on how to turn mini things. Back then, there were no small lathes, so I got her lathe and had to buy a separate 1/4 HP motor to power it. It's still my main lathe today (for small things).
Around 2004, I got interested in pool and wanted to turn my own pool cue. While it could be done on a wood lathe, I knew I needed something different. Bought a complete pool cue lathe set-up and started turning on it. Basically it's a modified metal lathe. Not the same as wood turning, but related.
Lost my interested in pool cues (but not pool - - love that game) and have gone back to pens and small turnings. I learned a lot about wood finishes and turning through that hobby.
I'm amazed how pen turning has changed over the years - - the tools, lathes, kits, materials etc. When I started, there were 7mm slim pens and only a couple of larger kits (quality was iffy). Some of my first non-slim pens were made with a 3-step brass tube that required some pretty tricky drilling to get it right. Today's kits are so much better and diverse.
This week I'm going to build a pressure/vacuum pot and start doing more of my own blanks. Should be fun.

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom