hello from Montreal Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drshantal

Hello all!
I joined this community in the hopes of getting help.. I inherited a fountain pen (vintage Parker Sonnet ciselé) and the nib is stuk onto the feed. It is 18K gold and it seems to be molded on to it. The pen doesnt work right now and so I want to take it appart to clean it. Can anyone help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Welcome from down the road.

Vintage pens can be just as big a rabbit hole as pen making. I am slowly starting to learn restoration, my first clean up job was a Parker 51. There are lots of tips and tricks to loosen a nib, such as soaking in warm (not hot) water. In vintage pens you have to be aware of the materials that a pen is made from, for example, ebonite can be ruined if soaked in water, or cellulos can be destroyed by heat.

A good source for information, is The Fountain Pen Network. There is actuslly a sub forum specific to Parker.

There is also one on general repair.

Another possible source, if you don't mind a little drive once a month, is the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society. We meet once a month up in Ottawa, and there is a vast amount of knowledge among our members. One of our members, who lives in Gateneau, does repair work. Our next meeting is on the 30th of May.

darrin1200

I just made a couple of inquiries about the sonnet, and it seems that it might require a special tool to remove the nib.
I would definitely do a little research before working on it.

darrin1200

Ok, so my curiosity got peaked. I spoke to a friend of mine, as well as doing a little google search. This is not the pen I had in mind when I first read the thread. I was thinking back a few more decades.

It appears that the Sonnet was introduced in 1994. Parker Sonnet

It is a very nice pen, using a Parker convertor or ink cartridges. It is a fairly easy pen to disassemble. The big thing to remember, is that the feed unscrews from the section, it does not pull out. It appears that a thorough soaking of the section, perhaps over night, can aid in loosening the feed.

Here is a disassembly video that i found.
Disassembly Line Parker Sonnet
Mr. Brown is a great source for information.

I hope this helps in your quest. If you have any questions, give me a shout.

Top Bottom