Hello from Monterey, CA!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Any2suited

I have literally just started pen turning. I am waiting for my mandrel, bushings, and a few other tools to arrive in the mail. My first pen will be a comfort fit for my wife made from coco bolo. I was given an old craftsman lathe and thought I would put it to use.

Any thoughts on what oil I should use to lubricate the bearings on the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Welcome from Michigan. The headstock bearings on a Craftsman lathe should be Ball Bearings which should not need lubrication. Sears also sold a different line of power tools which were called Dunlap which had bronze bearings instead of ball bearings (it was their inexpensive "line") and those could be lubricated with regular oil such as 40 weight engine oil but if you have a Craftsman (which was Sears "Top" line) the Headstock (spindle) bearings should not need lubrication unless they are trashed in which case they need to be replaced. I had and enjoyed an old Craftsman Lathe (Made for Sears by King Seeley Corporation in Ann Arbor Michigan They made some good machines). It got sold when I became disabled and couldn't get down to the basement any more.

csr67

Welcome from So. CA! Monterey is one of my most favorite places in the entire country! You made the right call coming here to the IAP site, wish I'd learned of it before I dove into this hobby.

Top Bottom