Hello from Mississippi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JKicker

Hello everyone! My name is Jason and I'm from North Mississippi (so close to Memphis that I can smell the barbeque cooking). I've been turning turkey calls on my lathe for several years and a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd try making a pen.

I made my first pen and I'm hooked (although I have to at least make one more since my wife took it from me for herself).

My first pen and soon to be second are slimlines. I would like to step it up some after these. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wright

Welcome Jason to IAP. I started just like you with Slimline pens. I stayed with those until felt like I crafted a good pen then I went to making Cigar pens. My advise is practice, practice and more practice. You will do fine!

Sub Vet 10

I started with Euros, which are a bit challenging and time consuming because of the different shapes you can make them. Then I did Wall Streets/sierra/gatsby etc because they're my FIL's favorite. We can both do one in an hour... The Parkers give me fits but I love the Virage kits (wall street style but cooler) and I just bought some Polaris/Carbara kits because you use darn near the whole blank.

leehljp

Member Liaison
And welcome from Tunica. Got a cousin that owns Memphis Barbecue on Goodman & I-55 in Southaven. He won the Memphis in May a couple of times!

Just getting my wood and pen turning shop set up after a move back here from Japan. I have been waiting for some folks to join up in this area.

Lots of great information available here. Ask away!

Last edited:

JKicker

Here is a picture of my 1st pen.

ctw1.jpg

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Gee that's one nice pen. Beautiful piece of wood, too.

Welcome from sunny southern California!

The Carbara/Patriot is a nice pen to practice with as you can show off the wood well and have some 'wiggle room' with design. It's a hefty yet compact pen fitting easily into pocket or purse.

Top Bottom