Hello from Middle TN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

negid

I'm looking to getting into turning. The idea has fascinated me for some time now. I'm in Mount Juliet, TN. That's about 30 minutes east of Nashville. I'm currently saving up for my first lathe and would like everyone's opinion on this deal I found on craigslist.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/518678756.html

I've been lurking for about a month and decided it was about time to introduce myself. All the tools in the above craigslist listing are 2 years old from woodcraft.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

welcome

I would get the Jet Variable speed lathe. about 80 bucks more new and well worth it. stand is nice, I would pick out my own tools....you could spend about that and get all new stuff....

drawknife

Hi Whayne, welcome, Terry here in Smyrna TN. Thought I would tell you since you are so close that you might want to contact General Industrial Supply on Lebanon Rd. in Nashville close to Spence Lane. They have new scratch and dent Jet mini lathes. Bought mine new for $189, still haven't found the scratch or dent. I also bought the stand there, but I can't remember how much that was. Their number is 256-2220. Talk to Steve. Good luck.

negid

Originally posted by drawknife
<br />Hi Whayne, welcome, Terry here in Smyrna TN. Thought I would tell you since you are so close that you might want to contact General Industrial Supply on Lebanon Rd. in Nashville close to Spence Lane. They have new scratch and dent Jet mini lathes. Bought mine new for $189, still haven't found the scratch or dent. I also bought the stand there, but I can't remember how much that was. Their number is 256-2220. Talk to Steve. Good luck.

Thanks Terry!! I'll definitely give them a call when I am ready to buy.

Ligget

Welcome to the group Whayne![:)]

I have the Jet 1014 manual and love it, would have preferred the variable speed but they are not sold in the UK.[V][:D]

winpooh498

Welcomesmilies.gif

negid

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I think I found a different Jet mini lathe for $150. I'm very excited to get started.

jwoodwright

Welcome Whayne. Remember to ask opinions before you buy. It will save you a bundle and not having a bunch of stuff that's not needed. Some of those "bundle" tools are very rarely used...

sbell111

Originally posted by drawknife
<br />Hi Whayne, welcome, Terry here in Smyrna TN. Thought I would tell you since you are so close that you might want to contact General Industrial Supply on Lebanon Rd. in Nashville close to Spence Lane. They have new scratch and dent Jet mini lathes. Bought mine new for $189, still haven't found the scratch or dent. I also bought the stand there, but I can't remember how much that was. Their number is 256-2220. Talk to Steve. Good luck.
This is Steve. We live in Franklin and have bought Jet minis from both WoodCraft and General Industrial Supply. GIS beat WoodCraft's price by around $100 and, like Terry, I have yet to find something wrong with the lathe.

GIS was out of stands last month when I was there, but I picked one up on Amazon for about $100. That's not a huge deal, but it beat Woodcraft by about $50.

negid

Originally posted by sbell111
This is Steve. We live in Franklin and have bought Jet minis from both WoodCraft and General Industrial Supply. GIS beat WoodCraft's price by around $100 and, like Terry, I have yet to find something wrong with the lathe.

GIS was out of stands last month when I was there, but I picked one up on Amazon for about $100. That's not a huge deal, but it beat Woodcraft by about $50.

Thanks, but I picked one up on Craigslist for $150. It was from a damaged box return. The lathe itself is brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom