Hello from Michigan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,

This past weekend I met a very nice man at a local craft/art fair. I had asked how he produces his blanks for the denim pen he had on display and he was kind enough to explain his process. I told him that i do turn, but just for fun and that i have made a few pens. He gave me a card and told me to check out IAP, so here I am. Thank you Mike8850, I really did enjoy talking to you.

Here is a little background on me...

I have been interested in turning since i was a teenager but didn't get the opportunity to try it until my wonderful husband bought me a lathe for Christmas about 4 years ago. I have to say I am hooked :) although I still consider myself a newbie since I only get to play every now and then.

As I said, I have made a few pens but only the slimline style so far since (as you all know) this hobby is not cheap. While learning different techniques, I made various Christmas ornaments. I have also tried my hand at turning bowls and segmented bowls.

Mostly I just work with firewood since it is FREE but am hoping to be able to turn some pieces using more interesting woods in the future. I have attached a few of my creations (not all turnings as I enjoy all kinds of woodwork)...

Thanks and hope you all have a wonderful day!

acorn.jpg

snowman.jpg

pen.jpg

nativity.jpg

semented bowl.jpg

tables.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Those are great little ornaments! Welcome to the group. In late Nov / early Dec we usually have a Pen / Ornament Swap. Basically you make a pen and ornament and trade them with other members here. Seeing your ornaments I'm thinking you might enjoy it.

Dehn0045

Nice looking firewood! I really like your segmented bowl, great piece. Welcome to IAP.

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum. You are turning and making some nice wood items. Keep going! "Free" is my favorite word. I have a basement full of wood that I got from stopping at tree service jobs.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Susan !!!! . Your handiwork is very nice !! . Love the carving !

JimB

Welcome from western New York State. Like you, I use a lot of free wood when I turn bowls and other non-pen items. Buying wood for bowls etc can be very expensive so the few pieces I have bought have always been on sale for a great price. I also belong to the local woodburning club and sometimes other members will bring wood to give away or sell very cheap.

Magicbob

Welcome from beautiful Akron, Ohio.

Very nice work.

How did you turn the nativity?

just kidding.

jdclaus

Hello from WA state

Thanks for saving some wood from the fire place. I have found some gorgeous
pieces there. It looks like you have, too. Besides, free wood is nice! Keep turning!
John

Top Bottom