Hello from Mesa, Arizona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randypitcher

Hello everyone!

I am interested in penturning, but have yet to get started. I don't really have the room (yet) for any tools in my garage. My plan is to do a lot of research (YouTube, articles, forums, etc) before I make any major purchases. And, of course, there is the issue of convincing my wife....

There is another issue: I cannot stand for very long. When I get a lathe, I will probably have to figure out a way to use it while sitting. I know they make sit-down lathes, but my budget will not allow for them. I'll figure something out before I get started!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Randy !! . Welcome to IAP !!

There are other members here who do their turning sitting down. . I hope they will read your introduction and make themselves known to you and give you some ideas.

If I were in your position, I would strongly consider a metal-working lathe because it seems to me it would be easier to adapt for use while seated. . I could be wrong. . On top of that, I am biased because I cut my teeth on a metal-working lathe and have been using a small one for making pens for the past 8 years !! . You can get a small (mini) 7x12 or 7x14 metal-working lathe from Grizzly or Harbor Freight. . But a better one would be the one that is sold by LittleMachineShop.com

There is an even smaller lathe that people use for pens ... my cousin has one ... it is the Taig lathe and it is sold as either a wood-turning lathe or as a metal-turning lathe, depending how you order it. . If you buy the one, you can easily convert to the other later. . One advantage of it is that it is relatively cheap ($300), but the disadvantage is that it does not have all the capabilities of a larger lathe. http://www.taigtools.com/

Last edited:

PenPal

Welcome Randy I have for a long time now chosen to make pens seated on a draughtsmans adjustable height stool or really chair. I sit fairly high to the lathe and can turn for hours without discomfort. By establishing a pen press (one ton bearing press at eye height I can perform all functions making and finishing my pens using the swivel action of the seat. I mounted the lathe on a bench I made using the rear access from the head stock to keep the drive motor away from legs for pure comfort.

I enclose a picture of my set up.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom