Hello and membership card question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Stiles

Hello to all. I'm a new member. I have been making pens for less than a year and love it. I was reading through threads and saw the poll on membership card. Looks like most members support the idea.

So my question is, what happened?

Is there a membership card?

My local store gives a discount for membership but now requires that you shop them a card...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cards, business cards, personal cards were a mainstay in Japan. With a Business card, one could buy a car on the company! You might get fired by the company but the business card was highly valued over there.

Back before cable internet became ubiquitous, Japan had ISDN or dual phone lines for double the speed. Hesitant due to high installation costs ($400 - $500) back in the mid '90s, I finally decided to pull the plug and get one (lived in the Osaka area). Went to the local NTT office and tried to make an application. They had a LOT of red tape and an approx 6 weeks wait, including the fact that my house was owned by my organization in Tokyo. The request had to originate from THEM. As I was walking to the door, the NTT store manager said, . . . "OR if you have a business card with your organization name on it, we can start today!

I went home and made me a business card with my organizations name on it. HOWEVER, while making it, I checked my email. My TV cable company was about to offer cable internet. I went straight to the cable company and requested the cable internet, and took my new card with me.
Many in our organization started calling on me to make their cards, - mine higher quality graphics and higher resolution print.

in my 25+ years in Japan, I only had one Japanese refuse to give me a business card - a close friend whom LOML and I met with often - she worked in the top echelons of Toyota Motor Company in Ichibancho (THE main TMC) building. For security reasons they were only allowed to give cards in special circumstances and "friendship" was not one.

I do find cards very valuable back here and keep different versions on hand for different reasons. My early '90s Photoshop along with font & layout experience has come in handy.

I Think this would still be a great idea to revive and bring to fruition.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Lee, this gives me ideas. My first job in 1971 was sales. One company made labels and nameplates, etc. They had a fold over card in a light green. I had to peel-and-stick a lightweight aluminum label on all the cards. It was an embossed picture of the first steps on the moon. Everyone knew me as the guy with the spaceman card!

dogcatcher

A few years ago some friends and I were having coffee at the local Dairy Queen, as a group we referred to ourselves as the "Old Farts Advisors Company". Out of boredom we decided we needed business cards, well it kind of went downhill in hurry. We used the address of the Dairy Queen, the phone number, BR549, and the name was shortened to OFAC. Then came the titles, each of us had a title, for the sake of not getting banned from IAP I will skip the titles. By the end of the week we all had a laminated business/identification card. Yep, everybody needs a business card. LOL

jttheclockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbell111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I think using the unique member number would be cool! (I wonder what my number is?).
Hover your cursor over your name to the left of any of your replies or at the top right of the screen and you will see a link pop up at the bottom of your screen. At the end of the link is your unique number.
Mine is 4715. Yours is 2.

I never knew this

For all you Veterans out there, if you shop at Lowe's or Home Depot you can get a 10% discount. Lowe's gives the discount on everything you buy but you need to register with them and be sure to bring your DD214. Home Depot used to give everything that you bought a discount but now are more selective. They will accept your DD214 or if you have a VA enrollment card they will also allow that.
BTW, my number is 35879.

JimB

Welcome from western NY State! Usually, when a woodworking store is giving a discount to a Turner it is because they belong to a local club. There are 2 places I can get a discount locally but it is because I belong to the local Turning club Finger Lakes Woodturners. Belonging to the AAW or IAP would not get me a discount.

Check for turning clubs in your area. They are usually inexpensive to join and you will learn a lot. You can go to the AAW website (American Association of Woodturners) to find a local chapter.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome 35916, I mean John.

We REALLY need new people around here to help us keep up with all that has been written that we don't remember!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Gary Beasley

Quote:
Quote:
I think using the unique member number would be cool! (I wonder what my number is?).
Hover your cursor over your name to the left of any of your replies or at the top right of the screen and you will see a link pop up at the bottom of your screen. At the end of the link is your unique number.

I never knew this

Of course this doesnt work on an ipad.

JimB

Quote:
Quote:

I never knew this

Of course this doesnt work on an ipad.

To see it on your iPad tap your name, public profile, contact. At the bottom there is a This Page link. Your number is at the end.

Top Bottom