Hello From Maryland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rcnease

I would like to take a few minutes to introduce myself.

My name is Richard Nease and I live near Frederick Maryland. I started turning pens roughly 3 years ago mainly as a hobby. I never really thought I would do much more than make some just for fun and to give as gifts. Over the last year and half, I was able to sell a few pens to people I work with, and out of that, I was introduced to a brother of a guy I work with who is opened his own craft store for locally crafted items. He asked me to put my pens in his store and I have been selling my pens at his store for about 7 months now. I average about 5 or 6 pens a month. That works well for me as I have a full-time job, plus my wife and I own our own business, and I am partners with 3 other people in another venture, so I don't have a lot of time to make a bunch of pens. I really enjoy making pens and find it to be a good stress relief. My next venture with this is to start making my own blanks from local wood, and also trying to make some laminated pieces. I haven't done very many acrylic pens as I love working with wood and really don't want to do the acrylic pieces. I have made a few pepper grinders but am not very good at that yet. I need to keep practicing but I also would like to upgrade my equipment to help make it easier to drill the holes and easier to hold the grinder blanks. I look forward to reading the forums on this site and hope that I can learn a lot and also provide some insight to some people as well. I have done a lot of woodworking stuff but just decided to expand into turning projects as well. I am posting a few pictures of some of my favorite pens that I have done so far.

Attachments

• Antique Brass Stablized Maple Burl Patriot.jpg
    Antique Brass Stablized Maple Burl Patriot.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Titanium Nitride Walnut Burl Comfort.jpg
    Titanium Nitride Walnut Burl Comfort.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Antique Brass Eagle Inlay Bolt Action.jpg
    Antique Brass Eagle Inlay Bolt Action.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Gunmetal Amboyna Burl Pistol.jpg
    Gunmetal Amboyna Burl Pistol.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Welcome from Mississippi, Richard. Great looking pens. Don't forget to post them in the Show Off Your Pens forum. So you will be entered in the drawing there...

Charlie_W

Hi Richard, Welcome to IAP!

Greetings from across the Potomac in Sterling.

Have you checked out the Mid Maryland Woodturners Club? Guess what.....they meet in Frederick! I know at least one of their members is a pen turner.

Also, you could pop across to Leesburg and join us at Catoctin Area Turners.
Either club is a benefit to turners...education, equipment, etc.
Most members will say.." come on over to my shop and you can try this tool or lathe before you buy".

Edit: Great looking pens!

Welcome, and nice pens they are stunning. since you are from Frederick you might be the only one that knows where im at...North East md. cant wait to see more pics

OZturner

Welcome Richard, from Sydney Australia,
Nice collection of Pens,
Just a thought, please have a look at the Photograph of your Pens on your table, then look at the Photograph of your individual Pens.
The Lighter background of the Table, shows the detail and contrast of the Pens, whereas, the Dark background of the Individual Pens, Blends and Camouflages their Beautiful Details and Colours.
Congratulations, love your Pens.
Brian.

Top Bottom