Hello from Madison, Wisconsin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turninz

By day I am a 2nd grade teacher. But during my free time I am an addicted turner. I started last summer and have learned everything the hard way! :befuddled: The guys at my local Woodcraft store are helpful and super patient with all of my questions. Youtube has also helped my learning. And, now hopefully people here!

I do have a question for anyone who can tell me how to properly ask it on the IAP site. I have a co-worker who is handicapped and could use a "bigger" diameter pen than I have seen. Does anyone have experience with making something like this or tips on how I can make it to still look nice for her?

Thanks,

Sue

P.S. Soon I will be brave enough to post a pen I've made.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome from western NY State!

To answer your question, you can start a new thread with an appropriate subject line such as 'Need a large pen for a person with arthritis' or something similar to that. I know there have been similar threads in the past where people have posted pics of large pens for people with special needs.

You can also do a search using key words such as 'arthritis'. If you use the advance search you can narrow the search down to the Show Off Your Pens forum on here.

I hope that helps. It's the best I can come up with right now.

jttheclockman

By day I am a 2nd grade teacher. But during my free time I am an addicted turner. I started last summer and have learned everything the hard way! :befuddled: The guys at my local Woodcraft store are helpful and super patient with all of my questions. Youtube has also helped my learning. And, now hopefully people here!

I do have a question for anyone who can tell me how to properly ask it on the IAP site. I have a co-worker who is handicapped and could use a "bigger" diameter pen than I have seen. Does anyone have experience with making something like this or tips on how I can make it to still look nice for her?

Thanks,

Sue

P.S. Soon I will be brave enough to post a pen I've made.

Welcome to the site

As mentioned you can do a search for arthritis pens. Here are a few threads on that subject

www.penturners.org/forum/f50/arthritic-hands-103534/index2.html

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/pens-arthritis-sufferers-67305/

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Sue !!!!

I am not sure how large you mean, or whether you want a ballpoint, rollerball, or ?

Somebody has mentioned the Cigar pen kit ... it's a ballpoint and might be the largest available as a kit pen.

A larger (overall) kit pen is the Emperor, but it might not be larger at the gripping point. . It comes as a rollerball or a fountain pen.
Other similar-sized pen kits are the Majestic, Full-size Gent, Full-size Statesman, and maybe a couple more.

You might have to dive in at the deep end and make what you want as a kitless pen.

Last edited:

HamTurns

Welcome Sue. You'll have a chance to learn a lot on this site, great group of people, always willing to help. Don't forget to check out all of the tutorials.

Happy Turning - Tom

Top Bottom