Hello from MA!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

Hi everyone. I'm here from just outside Boston. I happened to stumble upon this forum while looking for new and different pen blanks. I just started turning pens a few months ago when my sons (7 and 10) asked for a toy lathe in a catalog around Christmas. I thought why not just try something with them on my lathe. So, we made a couple pens.

This got my kids excited and we have been going to Woodcraft every weekend getting new blanks and pen sets to try. They love it and it is great seeing them more interested in making something rather than video games.

The IAP has been an amazing resource to find. I feel it has definitely shortened the learning curve so far. Looking forward to contributing as I progress.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Mark !! . Welcome to IAP !!

I hope your boys love of making things continues to grow !

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum and penturning! Good to share time with the boys. Believe me, time spent with the kids and grandkids (I have nine) is time well spent. One grandson has turned a few pens and enjoys it.
BTW, I'm waaaay outside of the Boston area.:tongue:
we have been going to Woodcraft every weekend getting new blanks and pen sets to try
I have noticed over the years that the local WC employees are driving new cars. I wonder why. Profit sharing? I have had great support from the WC staff. As the boys get older, you might consider a penturning class or a basic turning class. Our pen turning instructor is great and seems to anticipate questions before they are asked.

Last edited:

MDWine

Welcome aboard.

Truly there is no site like IAP!!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!
Don't forget pictures! WE LOVE pictures!

duncsuss

Hi Mark,

Nice to have another just-outside-Bostoner on the forum :biggrin:

Which direction do you live? There are several good turning clubs in the region -- South Shore Woodturners meet in Abington, Central New England Woodturners meet in Worcester, and the club I'm in, Association of Revolutionary Turners, meets in Woburn at the Woodcraft store (which is kind of convenient :wink:)

HiYa Mark
Another Ma. woodbutcher here. Where outside of Boston are you? I'm down by Gilette Stadium. You mentioned Woodcraft. Walpole? that place is well on it's way to draining my bank account! Great getting kids involved. Nothing like seeing the joy of accomplishment.

Top Bottom