Hello From Long Island!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zuppadepesce

Hey people! I love making things that are creative and technical and I've recently rediscovered my appreciation of pens. So naturally, I'm having a lot of fun right now.

I'm about 30 pens-in at this point. So I'm still discovering more devils in the details and which kits and woods I like.

I like a CA finish. I'm surprised that it takes a while to really build it up and get it flawlessly smooth!

So far my favorite kits from PSI are Slimline Pro, Trimline, Big Ben and Designer.

Artistically, what I like about this pursuit is creating subtle curves that blend well the kit-parts. I like the design choices of finished pen sizes and the variety of natural colors of the woods! I mean, wow! Who knew?

The last pen I made taught me how to scallop the ends. Not a big deal, and not hard at all, but I don't have a table saw (yet) and I have to be very careful to use a method that gives me reliable, repeatable straight and angled cuts with the tools I have.

My current pen will have a scalloped end and a diagonal splice (purple heart and red heart) but this time I'm using aluminum flashing material to accentuate these embellishments . . . (I don't know the lingo yet, but I hope you guys know what I mean.)

If I like the outcome of my process, I may ask about how well real silver material glues-up and what not. . . .

Attachments

• Battleship-Pen-email.jpg
    Battleship-Pen-email.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Spruce-Springsteen-email.jpg
    Spruce-Springsteen-email.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Bog Oak_email.jpg
    Bog Oak_email.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome and point of interest you do not want to use real silver for accent pieces. Stick with aluminum, brass, copper, off color acrylics or wood. Softer materials and will adhere best with epoxy.

Top Bottom