Hello From Korea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunterdave99

Greetings from the Land of the Morning Calm!
I am an Air Force Major stationed on a 2 year tour at Osan Air Base in South Korea.
Been lurking around the site for a few months and figured it was time to join and introduce myself.
Been woodworking for most of my life, but only started turning about 2 years ago and been making pens for a little over a year now. Mostly as gifts for family and friends.
Just finished over 50, one for each member in my clinic.
Coming over here, I knew I would be bored out of my mind if I didn't bring some of my stuff.
Although I had to leave most of my gear back in storage stateside, I did bring a few items, A midi lathe, belt/disc sander, small band saw, shop vac/dust deputy, and a rolling toolbox stuffed as full as I could get.
I am severely limited on space here. My work area is an enclosed balcony in my apartment that measures 3' x 15'. The plus side is the view from the 12th floor here is just outstanding.
I would appreciate any help from others with suggestions on managing/utilizing a small space. I am used to a three car garage. I am utilizing magnetic wall holders as much as I can.
Over the past year I have been getting into segmenting (pens, rings, bracelets, goblets, ornaments, etc) and am starting to add other materials such as aluminum and PVC cards. Just created an album and posted a few pics in there. Sorry for the poor image quality. I never said I was into photography. :)
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Ahnyohwasaiyo!

I may have to have you go say hi to my mom, sometime! She remarried and moved back to Korea ... lives in Seoul with my stepdad and my twin half-brother and half-sister.

You are welcome to post "other things" in the "other things" forum! I love the goblet with the pair of captive rings ... looks awesome! :)

3x15 feet square is larger than the work space I am using ... I'm working out of my living room, lol!

Now ... you mentioned segmenting. You're probably going to want to get yourself a thickness planer attachment for your lathe or for a drill press...

A drill press ought to be a fairly cheap buy over there.A pair of upright boards secured to a base that is clamped down to the drill press table to keep it from moving is the simple way, but could give you some kickback. Add adjustable featherboards to avoid kickback and allow for multiple sizes. Have the sanding drum mounted in the arbor, and set the boards up to shoot your strip of wood between a fence board and the drum, and out the other side between the same fence and a featherboard...

A lathe type would use the same sanding drum, but the fence would be mounted ABOVE the drum with the featherboard behind the drum, so that you can feed it forward and through to the back of the lathe. It would need to be securely mounted to the lathe bed.

You can turn custom drums on your lathe and coat them with sandpaper. This would allow you to create custom thickness materials and even veneers for little cost and very little investment in workspace.

If you look around the site some more, you'll see pictures and walkthroughs of some very small workshops that work! :)

Top Bottom