Hello from Kensington, MD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tadhoo

I'm having a blast getting started with this new hobby/obsession. I essentially started from scratch over a week ago. My shed has been converted into a workshop and is now equipped with a Jet mini lathe, bench top drill press and an 8" grinder w/ wolverine oneway jigs. I've hesitated to pick up a band saw (cost) and will get by with pen blanks and a jig saw.

I started by perusing the 'net for resources. I quickly found out that the community of turners is vast and eager to help others with their knowledge. I have an additional resource as one of my coworkers is a vet of pen turning. In addition, I met Barry Gross at a Wood Show in Baltimore last weekend: watched him, talked to him, bought his book & video, picked up some supplies. Yet another resource is the Woodworker's Club (Woodcraft store) just about three miles from home and, now, my primary supplier of "things I need right now."

I started with the Classic American pen kit and a grab bag of pen blanks. Both turned out to be slight mistakes. No matter what I do, I screw up the pen on assembly. The grab bag has nice wood...I just don't know what kind of wood some of the blanks are and, therefore, have a difficult time answering the inevitable question from a would be recipient of the pen. I've, also, learned not to like Wenge with its grain grooves. To mitigate, I've become a fan of the slimline and bloodwood. I haven't screwed up a slimline yet and the bloodwood is easy to turn and has an appealing finish.

Per Barry Gross' recommendation, I picked up a 1/2" Spindlemaster to compliment the six-piece Sorby set I bought the day after receiving the lathe. I, now, only use the 3/8" spindle gouge, 3/4" skew and the Spindlemaster. Shaping the piece takes no time at all.

I'm sanding with the New Wave sandpaper, starting with 150 and working up to 600. I apply some EEE, then retouch with Abralon, then apply the Woodturner's Finish. I seem to get good results. However, I'm open to suggestions on better methods.

Well, this intro went on a little longer than I expected. I just wanted to say "hey" and let you know that I'm here. I'm always open to suggestions, particularly regarding time & money savers...along with quality improvers.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Welcome & glad to hear you got a chance to meet & speak with Barry. He has a very unique and practical method of instruction that makes it easy for folks to understand and really puts some fun into the hobby. If you ever do want a band saw, keep an eye on Craig's list. I come across deals on 14" quite often in the DC/MD/NOVA area. One word of advise on the Spindlemaster, don't make the same mistake I did when sharpening. Use a flat diamond hone across the flat top of the chisel... do not grind on the bevel side. I learned the hard way and the folks at Sorby was kind enough to regind the bevel (only charged me shipping) after I had destroyed it.

Cheers

Top Bottom