Hello from Katy, TX!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeyPerot

Hello everyone!

My name is Joey Perot and I'm a new pen turner and new to the site.

I have been working in the hardwood lumber industry for over ten years now. I currently work in sales for Northwest Hardwoods. We are a national manufacturer of hardwood lumber. We also deal in import plywood and exotic lumber.

I have spent the last ten years watching my customers build beautiful pieces of furniture, cabinetry and flooring. A few months ago I decided it was time for me to find a woodworking hobby and pen turning was just a natural fit. I've always been a little bit of a "pen snob" so the idea of making my own pens was very alluring.

I have really enjoyed making pens over the last several months. Each turn is a learning process. Each pen creates it's own frustrations and obstacles to overcome. Each pen also has it's own beauty as you never really know what you're going to find until you start cutting.

I've benefitted greatly from this forum and am very appreciative to everyone who has so generously offered advice and tips to me.

I look forward to many more years of this awesome hobby!

Joey Perot

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Welcome from Katy, Tx, Howdy Neighbor! I've been turning just over a year now and the addiction has taken hold.

Send me a message if you have a question, I can share my limited experience.

Danny

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from another Houston area turner, Joey.

Danny (More4Dan) is too modest. He makes some awesome pens and is a really nice guy. You should try to get together with him sometime & I hope you'll be able to attend our next Houston area get-together. (Nothing currently scheduled, but keep a lookout.)

howsitwork

Welcome Joey

Is it like coming home when you step into the shop???

At least you can look for the really "interesting " ones to try. I guess for you it's a real case of downsizing?

Enjoy it and have fun

Ian

JoeyPerot

Honestly, it's really brought a new appreciation to some of the products that I sell. The other nice part is I have something productive to do with all these hand samples I've got piled up!

Gary Walter

Greetings from Virginia Beach

Greeting from Virginia Beach. My name is Gary Walter. I've been turning pens for several years, but I'm excited to find a site like this and learn new techniques. I'm particularly interested in segmented turning and quality, long-lasing finishes.

jttheclockman

Hello Joey and welcome. You found the best of the best when it comes to pen turning. so much talent runs through the halls here and there is so much info and knowledge to be shared it will keep you busy for quite some time. Look around and and ask question and share your knowledge. I see you are into the hardwoods industry. This is always useful here for identifying woods comes up often. We are always looking for new places to buy exotic woods and maybe something could be worked out with your company and the IAP. :)

We like photos. show us what you got. Ask questions and above all join in do not be in the background only. we are family here. We share knowledge and our experiences and that is what makes this such a great place. You may read this on many sites but here it is true to the core. So have fun and welcome and Happy Turning.

Top Bottom