Hello from Hurley NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gardnaaa

Hello everyone! Excited to be here. A little about me, I'm 26 years old, wife and a beautiful son. I've followed turning on YouTube for years but never had the drive to start it and didn't know where to start. My father in law bought the harbor freight 10x18 lathe,I knew I had to lock down and get one. I bought it, a set of the EWT carbide tools, a face shield and tried to rock and roll, well the 3rd time I used that lathe it broke. So I've been without a lathe for probably about two weeks now and don't know what to do with myself. I have a Laguna 1216 on the way. I haven't turned any pens yet, but I want too and have no idea where to start, so I'm here. I was trying to order an entire kit online that comes with everything I need to get started turning pens, nd they are all practically sold out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmcclellan

Welcome to the IAP from Central Mississippi.

I hate you had an issue with the HF lathe. I have been running mine for a couple years now and it was purchased used.

Yeah the starter kits are great way to start. What I did was ordered a bunch of slimline kits bushings and the 7mm bit. The kits are really inexpensive and to me fun to turn. If you destroy one you are only out a couple bucks.

Be warned this is an addictive hobby! Enjoy the addiction.

magpens

My advice ... don't start with slimlines ... for beginners they are too hard to do well on the first few attempts. . They are not inspiring. . Do something that you really want to do.

In my opinion, best to start with a 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit ... considerably more expensive but worth it to have a virtually guaranteed success. . Before you tackle the kit, get some extra tubes and practice, first with wood as the blank material, and then with some of the cheaper acrylic blanks. . I would actually suggest Alumilite blanks if you want to spend somewhat more ... Alumilite is easier to turn than the acrylics.

The reason for the 30 Caliber Bolt Action is that it is a single barrel pen kit (slimlines have two barrels ... so double the trouble). . Also, the 30 Caliber Bolt Action is naturally straight-sided ... so somewhat easier to shape and get an attractive result. . Furthermore, the Bolt Action result is somewhat novel ... so you are inspired as you work . . (Slimlines, until you know how to handle them, are really pretty "ho-hum".)

An alternative to the Bolt Action is a Sierra or Gatsby (or similar ... there are several). . These can also be turned straight-sided which is easier in the beginning ... and they are single tube pen kits so you get to your result faster, which is important in the beginning. . There are quite a few kits which resemble the Sierra/Gatsby and are cheaper. . So look around and ask around ... someone may suggest but I would go with the Sierra twist. . As I said, there are look-alikes which are a little cheaper but I don't think you should make price the deciding factor ... buy the one(s) you like and get inspired right from the beginning. . Have a look at the Aero kit ... it is really nice looking ... even nicer than the Sierra. . But it costs more.

You can buy packages for the Bolt Action which includes drill and bushings. . Same is true of the Gatsby.

Happy turning !!

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Zack, to IAP.

Here is a great links for information - our Library:
Library Index - International Association of Penturners

Also in the Library in the bottom row of that link is Pen Turning 101. All of the other threads there are useful too.

Sometimes reading can be overwhelming or not quite clear. That is what we are hear for - to help with problems and share ideas. Fill free to ask.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Zack.

Sorry to hear that you had that problem with your HF lathe. I have the exact same lathe, except in black from Rockler and it's served me well for over 6 years. So far I've only had to replace the belt once.

Woodchipper

I have this book. Good information for "taking vanilla ice cream and making a banana split." Building an insulated wall over a metal garage door so the shop will get warm fast and stay warm. As soon as that is done, back to the lathe!

stolicky

Welcome. If you haven't already, look up the Northeastern Woodworkers Association (woodworker.org). There are turning Special Interest Groups (SIGS) where you can learn from others - it is a valuable resource.

If you can, try to make it up to Saratoga the last weekend of this month. It is the annual Showcase and Totally Turning event, and even if you do not pay to go to the Totally Turning Symposium, the rest of what you will see at the show will be a huge inspiration.

I take pictures of the show every year and post the link to them on IAP. Here is the link from last year:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/2018-nwa-showcase-totally-turning-154090/

Top Bottom