Hello from Houston, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

geromero

So I probably got the most lucky when it came to this hobby. When i was in college a friend tried to sell me his lathe that he had bought off of craigslist for like 60 bucks. Not knowing what kind of lathe it was or anything about them as well as being a broke college student I declined. Finally he had to move and had no way to store it and asked if I would just take it for free, so i gave him a 12 pack of shiner and called it a day.

7 years later i decided it was time to see what i could do with it and was lucky to have a coworker who makes pens. He directed me to wood turners catalog and i bought the starter kit. Side note i bought a drill press from a moving neighbor for 20 bucks and got lucky again that it had the travel necessary for most two piece kits. So I finally got to use my lathe to make something. Turns out i had the Jet lathe 1014 with a 60° tail stock so my first pens went super smoothly. Now about 15 pens later i found this site and I am super stoked at all the information. I attached a couple of the pens ive made. Thanks for the add and i hope you liked my story.

Attachments

• 2piecepen.PNG
    2piecepen.PNG
    618.9 KB · Views: 101
  • acrylic.PNG
    acrylic.PNG
    580.2 KB · Views: 112
  • modernslimline.PNG
    modernslimline.PNG
    660.3 KB · Views: 116
  • naturalfinish.PNG
    naturalfinish.PNG
    774.2 KB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Nice looking pens! I was given the same lathe before I started turning pens, got a nice assortment of turning tools and accessories too. Now I truly understand why my mom taught me that "there's no such thing as a free puppy" or lathe, lol. Poured more money into the hobby than I care to admit... Welcome to IAP, lots of good help available around here, and keep sharing your creations!

Pen Joe

great story, real nice pens, I really like that second on, wonderful color, great work.

stonepecker

Welcome to the IAP from Minnesota.

You found us just in time. Our month long birthday party starts in Feb. Standby for the best month of the year.
Great looking pens. I think you have the addiction.

Top Bottom