Hello and help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oldfolks

Been on here for awhile and have just been looking and learning. I do have a question and am not sure if this is the place, but here goes. After using my lathe for an hour or so my shoulders get tired and my back tightens up between my shoulders. I think I built the stand too tall but am not sure what height the spindle should be form ground level. Any suggestions or input would be mostly appreciated.
Jerry
Cross Plains, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

Jerry, I like my lathe height so that the spindle is at or near the height of my arms when they are up with my elbows at about 90%. I find this to be the most comfortable for me. V/R Robbie

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Jerry !!!!!

You may need to experiment with the height, if that is possible.
I use a bench mounted lathe and found I had to elevate the lathe to a spindle height of about 45".
My lower arms are almost horizontal when I am turning.
Even so, I experience some tension like you describe, after working for an hour or so.

I see from your Profile that you are probably not a teenager !!! . Join the club !!!!

thewishman

OZturner

Welcome Jerry, from Sydney Australia.

Try not to White Knuckle, while holding onto your Chisels.

With your Lathe switched OFF.
Approach the Lathe holding the Chisel, in your Right Hand, at the end of the handle, and alongside your Hip.
With your feet comfortably apart, and parallel to the Lathe Bed.
With the Shaft of the handle resting on the Tool Rest, so that only the Bevel of your Tool is making contact with the Timber.
Rest your Left Hand on the Tool Shaft, and the Tool Rest.

Then Slowly raise the End of the Handle slightly up your Hip, until the cutting edge of you Chisel is in contact with the Timber..
Then Traverse the Timber, by moving your weight in a swaying motion over your left leg, Then back, toward the Tail stock with your weight over your right leg.
It is good to practice these movements, until you feel that it is comfortable, and you do not have to think about the position and movement, so that it becomes natural. and Comfortable.
Then, Turn on the Lathe, and start turning, in that relaxed position.
Sorry if you feel that this is Too Fundamental, but having instructed numerous new turners, I have found that these basics are most important, in getting them to Relax and be Comfortable, and to Eliminate the Stress and White Knuckles.
Brian.

PenPal

I qualify sas an oldfellow but twenty years ago I turned on my pen lathe sitting down on an Architects swivel chair.

The beauty of this is it has an adjustable height I only ever used one adjustment ever. I can turn all day in comfort. Works for me.

Peter.

MTViper

Jerry, Greetings from Clyde and welcome. My brother and I are going to be at the Barbarian Festival this Saturday, come by and introduce yourself. Let's make some plans to get together and turn something - your shop or mine.

Steve

Oldfolks

Thanks everyone for the information and the the welcome. Mal, I have joined. Brian I will definitely put to practice your instructions. I built my stand from 1 ¼" square tubing so instead of cutting it down I built a platform to raise it. I see how this works out.

AlisaBeth

The bed of your lathe should be about to your waste. You might also be holding the tool to tightly because you're unsure of yourself. You need to dance with your project. Bend your legs, move back and forth. Once you get more used to it, I'm sure you'll get more comfortable. I can turn all day and not be tired. It's just something that your body needs to get used to. It will come.

Top Bottom