Hello Fellow Penturners!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

F6maniac

I've been lurking on your forum for a few weeks trying to build my knowledge base. I recently took an early retirement and have enjoyed working in my shop ever since. I've been doing woodworking off and on for about 35 years since taking wood-shop in high school. I never did much with a lathe though.

On an impulse, I bought a small lathe and some pen kits about 8 years ago at a Woodworks Show. I turned a few items over the years but never tried to make a pen. A few weeks ago I watched some you-tube videos on pen turning and tried it out. Wow, much easier then I expected and quite enjoyable!

I've made about 20 pens now and turned my first acrylic pen last night. That was a challenge even though I used a brand new carbide cutter. It came out very nice, but it took me 3 times longer than a wood pen.

Well that's my wood and pen turning experience. I live in the high desert of So. California just outside Los Angeles. Some of my other hobbies include motorcycles, smoking BBQ, and traveling.

I look forward to participating in your forum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas.
Acrylics take me 3 to 4 times longer than wood also -- maybe when I get more experience ....

BSea

Welcome from Arkansas.

Not all acrylics are created equal. I can generally make an acrylic faster from start to finish because there is no need to do a finish on acrylic pens. But I don't like AA it's way too brittle IMHO. Alumilite turns like butter, but it's harder to get a good shine.

Top Bottom