Hello fellow artisans.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beautys_Beast

Hi, Im Mark,

I am fairly new here. I have been a lurker for the last 9 months, and gleaned a ton of information from the library when I first started out. Recently I have actually joined in order to expand my knowledge through all of your knowledge.

I came to pen making, via woodworking. My wood shop is actually at my vacation home in TN, and I wanted something I could do at my home. I have a small workshop in the back yard, (10x12) that is heated, and air conditioned, so I bought a small HF lathe, and went to town. The bug bit deep.

I started turning wood pens, and have just recently started turning acrylic. Acrylic seems much easier to finish. YMMV.

Hope to get to know all of you.

As Ever,
M.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

How do you finish your acrylics?

Hi, Im Mark,

I am fairly new here. I have been a lurker for the last 9 months, and gleaned a ton of information from the library when I first started out. Recently I have actually joined in order to expand my knowledge through all of your knowledge.

I came to pen making, via woodworking. My wood shop is actually at my vacation home in TN, and I wanted something I could do at my home. I have a small workshop in the back yard, (10x12) that is heated, and air conditioned, so I bought a small HF lathe, and went to town. The bug bit deep.

I started turning wood pens, and have just recently started turning acrylic. Acrylic seems much easier to finish. YMMV.

Hope to get to know all of you.

As Ever,
M.

MDWine

Welcome aboard.
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

magpens

Hi Mark !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Yes, acrylic is easier to finish nicely .. if you prep it right .. than wood !!

Beautys_Beast

How do you finish your acrylics?

Wet sand with micro mesh pads through 12000, and if needed buff on the grinder. However, If I take my time, they usually don't need buffing.

Easier, because it is a pain in the arse to change the speed on my lathe, you have to move the belts as well as the whole application of CA glue, wait, apply, wait. apply, wait.. With Acrylic, I can wet sand at the same speed I turned it at, and don't need to apply a finish. Eliminating the changing of speed, and the multiple coats of CA glue. (I use a BLO and CA technique)

I know there isn't a comparable finish to CA glue, but sometimes I really hate that stuff. I will always use it, because of the end result, but it can be a pain in the arse.

Last edited:

Beautys_Beast

Hello Mark, welcome aboard. I'm in central Illinois. How far north are you?

I am as far South East as you can get in Wisconsin. Kenosha is bordered by lake Michigan on the east, and Il on the south.

Been called a lot of things but never an artisan, another welcome from Colorado.

All it takes is a quick look around here, and you see beautiful art. The creativity and talent it takes is noteworthy.

Top Bottom