Hello Everyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikefrMd

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I wanted to try pen turning. I was given some tools from my Uncle...a 12" band saw...a table router...table sander which has a belt and disk, a planner, and a table saw. I have yet to get a Lathe and was curious what would be a good beginner setup. I have seen the beautiful pens created by members here and would love to learn such a skill.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Welcome Mike! If all you want to do is pens you can't go wrong with a Jet mini lathe.I'd get a drill press too. Be forwarned though, once you start turning you'll probably want a bigger lathe. There's this thing going around called Woodguy Disease. It affects everyone eventually.Find a good tailor 'cause yer gonna need deeper pockets sewn into your pants!

rherrell

Try this http://arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Video.htm ,for 10 bucks you can't go wrong.Everything else on this website is top of the line also. You can't go wrong with anything you buy here. Just an opinion but I would stay away from PENTURNERS chisel sets. Get full size tools. I started with a 3/8 spindle gouge,3/4 roughing gouge and a 1/8 parting tool. Served me well until I learned how to use a skew chisel. Get some scrap 2X4's and cut them into 11/2X11/2 X 12" pieces and practice making coves and beads. Practice,practice,practice and HAVE FUN!

MikefrMd

Thanks for the help guys,

Rick I'm gonna order that video right now.

What do you guys think of the Wilton mini lathe at Amazon for less then $100 shipped....would this be a good beginner lathe also?

Mike, welcome to the group! To answer your question, the Wilton lathe is an okay little lathe, I started with one myself, and it served me well. That being said, I upgraded to a Jet 1014VSI before too long for 1)a stronger motor, 2)a #2 morse taper system, which is easier to "accessorize", and 3)increased accuracy inherent in the design. Next, when you get a drill press, THE most important consideration, for penturning, at least, is quill travel--you want at least 3", and more is better, if you have the funds (and the room) for it. Also, do yourself a favor and get a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight (about $10) to use as disassembly tools when you "change your mind" about a pen's assembly. Most of the suppliers offer pen disassembly tools, but they're expensive, and only work for a given size pen (7mm, 10mm, etc.), whereas the transfer punches give you sizes for everything and more. Enjoy your new addiction, and spend some time in the site's library and archives--you'll learn more than any video or class could ever teach you! Have fun!
BTW, Phil is advising you well in suggesting the Rikon lathe at Woodcraft---its a very nice tool, and a great price!

hughbie

welcome mike
as for the lathe, i bought a small VS from grizzly (they are in town) and it's worked ok so far, but i also wish i could have spent more for a jet. but until this one dies, it will do. but like most everyone says, buy the best you can afford. you won't regret it in the long run

MikefrMd

Hugh,
Did you make the pens in your gallery using the Grizzly?

They look sharp

Shannon....stupid question time...what is Quill travel?

Thanks guys

Mike, the "quill" on a drill press is the shaft that the chuck is mounted to, and "quill travel" refers to the distance it travels--in other words, how deep a hole you can drill. Most pen kits only require 2 to 2-1/2" of travel, but some require more, so 3" is a good length to shoot for. There will still be times when you need more than that, but there are ways to accomplish that without too much difficulty.

rherrell

Hey Mike,
Look in the classified section of this forum. Wayneis is selling 100 blanks for $100.00. It's for new penturners only and it's a GREAT deal!

potter

Hi Mike,
i turn on the Jet 1014, for little things like pens or spinning tops a wonderful machine...
Harry

LEAP

The quill is the part of the drill pres that moves up and down. Travel is the distance the quill moves. If it is too short you need to drill the blank in two passes. Generally a pain in the A$$ and cause of possible oversized or out of round holes, neither of which is desirable.

MarkHix

Hey Mike. Welcome. Woodcraft has a basic set of tools on sale that are fine to start with, $99 for a five peice set. Not the best and not the worst. Everyone has preference in lathes but the advice to buy the best you can afford is right on. I use a Jet mini myself. I did not start in pens, just graduated to them recently myself. I look forward to pictures of your work.

Fred

Mike, Welcome to the Forum. Like others have stated, buy the best that you can presently afford. This is a 'growing' hobby and you WILL be back to the stores quite often as your abilities grow. Just try to target where you want to be in five years or so and plan on making the upgrades to bigger and better stuff during this period.

If you can I would go with a larger lathe with a #2 morse taper as there are far more accessories in that size. Look at a lathe with a larger motor than some of the smaller mini's have. This is one of the main reasons for folks upgrading - they have outgrown the capabilities of their motor in short order as their interests expanded.

HSS tools are a must and the better the quality, the better they work for you. Start considering how you are going to keep your tools sharp early on ... Tormek or JET wet sharpening machines will do the trick. The Tormek would be the Cadillac and the JET is a close second with the Tormek jigs (they fit the JET and are better made all around)

There many more ideas to pass around, but from all those already mentioned here in this thread, you should be off and running quite well. [:D]

MikefrMd

Thanks for the welcomes guys,

I just wanted to make a small list of the basic needed tools for pens and ask if it is correct.

Lathe
Drill press
Drill bits...what size?
Vise for Drill press for holes in blanks
Pen Mandrel
Chisels
Pen press

Is that enough to get started minus supplies?

Thanks,

Mike

Verne

Mike,
A good drill press is a must. Be wary of the Ryobi at HD. It has the required quill (travel) but the runout or wiggle of the drill is unacceptable IMHO. Other's may have had a different experience but after 2 Sears benchtops and 2 ryobe benchtops I finally took the plunge and got the floor model Rigid from HD. Sorry situation, I've had it for a couple weeks and haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Just my thot's,
Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom