Hello from east central Indiana.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrisrosenb

Hello everyone.
My son & I are interested in learning to turn pens. But we do not know where to start. I found this site referenced at another woodworking site. I have been woodworking for over 30 years & my son has been doing it for over 12 years. I am a self taught turner. That means that I can turn well enough to get a job done. I still have a lot to learn. My son has never turned. I have a General 260 wood lathe. Can we turn pens on it or would a mini lathe be better?
Could someone recommend some good books & videos for us to get started with? We are also looking for suppliers for pen turning supplies. We prefer internet suppliers as we live far from any major city. The closest wood woodworking store is over 50 miles away.
Thank you.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of people willing to share information here.

I will leave any specific information to the General lathe to those who are familiar with it. However, if it has a morse taper on both the headstock and the tailstock it should be easy to do.

Ligget

Welcome from Scotland my friend, there is lots of great information contained in the Library of this forum, take your time and enjoy yourself whilst making pens.

Remember to keep the first pen you make (we all do), then you can look back and see just how much your skills are progressing.

rej19

New Also

Greeting from Indianapolis,
I am new to pen turning also. Just started in the last couple of months. I have a Shopsmith and was using it for turning pens and it worked great. But I found a Jet Mini on craigslist for a great price and am now using it. Your lathe I believe has MT2. So you can easily find pen mandrels for it and your set to go. You can find a lot of online videos to show you hints and techniques. There are several on youtube along with this site and others. I just purchase some cheaper slim line pen kits and some cheaper wood blanks to get started. I am still playing around with different finish types. Some finishes are very easy and some take more time and skill. I am having a blast just experimenting. There is tons of info online if you just do some googling. Have fun and good luck!
Ron

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Penn State industries offers a free CD on turning.

I have not viewed it yet, but you can't beat the price!!!

May have to order some minimum, but my order was under $100 and I got the CD free.

Welcome to the group! All of the above suggestions are right on the money, and will get you started. Penn State (PSI) offers a free penturning DVD that will give you all the basic info you need to get started and show you how to do it. As for suppliers, you'll find most of the better ones referenced here on the site--steer clear of Steebar! Many happy turns!

rherrell

Welcome Chris! By all means keep the lathe you have. I turn pens on a 42" lathe and it works great. Spend your money on quality tooling and accessories.:wink:

cozee

Woodturningz (PSI reseller) is in the Indy area. Follow the link, grab their email addy or phone #. Great guys to deal with. And be sure to keep your eyes peeled for information concerning the Midwest Penturning Gathering coming up next spring in Champaign Illinois. I have it on good word that it will be even bigger and better in '09!!

Fred

Greetings to you and your son. Welcome to the Forum!

As Rick advised you above, be sure to always buy quality tools and supplies. You can't go wrong, but like the rest of us you sure can go watch your shop get bigger and better as time goes along.

Have fun and enjoy the hobby! :biggrin:

Top Bottom