Hello from Crosby,TX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twindaddy813

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am very new to turning and pen making, I was gifted a lathe and a ton of pen making stuff from my father in law and I am just getting started in this wonderful craft. I have been doing some form of woodworking for most of my life but I have never had the opportunity to try working with a lathe. I couldn't he happier or more excited to jump in head first! Any advice or help or suggestions are always welcome! Looking forward to learning as much as I can and start turning out beautiful work!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to the hobby and the addiction .... and to IAP !!

What pen kits do you have in the collection your father-in-law gave you ?

Do you have a Bolt Action kit or a Sierra/Gatsby/Mesa kit ?

Both are good for starting.

Twindaddy813

I have around 40 7mm Slimline kits, a mix of the black, gold, and brushed silver finishes. I want to get some different kits soon, but I figured I better start with what I have to make sure I am going to stick with it. But so far I don't think I have any chance of giving this up, it is a ton of fun.

magpens

I started with the slimline kit because that was recommended by the store where I bought my first supplies. In hindsight, I think it takes more skill to make a slimline than the other kits I mentioned and the slimline results are less satisfying.

But since you already have slimlines, you might as well use them .... sounds like you already have. How many pens have you made ?

Twindaddy813

I have made 6 so far, but I have attempted a lot more than that. I have had more than a few mistakes where I knocked out a huge chuck of my blank, or took to much off and it was way to thin. But I know that is going to happen with learning the craft.

Bean_Counter

Hello from Lubbock, for a second there I thought you were in Crosbyton and I might have a new buddy, but you're in Houston :(

OldGrumpy

Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction to pen making. The slims are an inexpensive way to get started. I would suggest yu look for a Rockler or simi
At store in your area. Most of them offer free classes on pen making. When I was starting I found it very helpful. Lots of helpful stuff in the Library here.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Alvin.
As Mannie said, hope to see you at the get-together next Sat. It should be great fun.

Twindaddy813

Welcome from Pearland, not too far from you.
If you are free next Saturday, feel free to join us, the Greater Houston area IAP meeting, for a get-together at my place in Pearland.

I would love to make that meeting but I will be unable to attend, I am scheduled for a second back surgery on the 27th. But as soon as I am back up and around I would love to come to one. My best friend lives down in Pearland and I am there fairly often.

plano_harry

Welcome to IAP. Triple advice - get with the Houston guys, you will learn fast; read everything in the library - best collection of pen making info in the universe; use the search function. Likely all of your questions have been asked several times -- search gets you the benefit of multiple years worth of answers instantly. You can still ask all you want, but I like the instant gratification.

Top Bottom