Hello from COnnecticut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arego1

Hello IAP members.
I am very new to Pen turning but really enjoy it.
Turned my first pen about two months ago.
Bought a mini Jet lathe and am on my way.
A good friend of mine has been at it for awhile and taught me the basics.
Looking forward to learning allot from this site.

My first questions is, where can I find "fig" and "weeping willow" pen blanks.
Anyone have experience with these woods?
I found some fig blanks out of Australia but they are very expensive when you add shipping. It would be about $16 for one blank. ($8 for blank and $8 for shipping.)

Thank You,
Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Alan -

Where in Connecticut are you?

While they don't list fig and willow in their on-line catalog, a very good place to buy wood is Berkshire Lumber. They are located south of Sheffield, Ma, very close to the Connecticut border. Their prices are pretty reasonable, but my experience is that visits to their shop can be expensive - because I end up buying a lot!

They have an extensive collection of turning blanks in their main barn (the first on the right as you walk from the parking area. They also have wood in much larger sizes that they intend for the flat work folks, but that you can cut down for turning.

But fig and willow are specialty items. I suspect willow is easier to find in Connecticut - make contact with a tree surgeon and ask him to be on the lookout for someone who wants to take down a willow tree.

Fig is another matter. I recall seeing fig trees where I grew up in Florida, but I've never seen one in the Northeast.

arego1

Thank You all

Thanks for all the "welcome" messages and the advice.
For those that asked, I am in Woodbury, Ct.
I am still on the lookout for Fig and Weeping willow.
Thanks again for all the Welcome messages.
Hoping to post some pictures soon of my "rookie" work.

Top Bottom