Hello from the Chicagoland area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pauly99

Not sure why I got into woodworking. I used to rehab properties as an investor and the economy downturn sorta took me away from that. While I was perusing the internet one day, I ran into a site that showed a whole bunch of wine racks. Thought my wife might like one of those so I built one that I felt was easy enough for my skills (lack thereof). I followed that up with a bird feeder.

One of my friends was kind enough to show me some of her woodwork and it was some pictures of pens. I thought, how cool is that. So, last week I picked up a midi lathe and this weekend bought some more products (including a face shield) that will get me closer to making a pen. In the future, I hope to make wine bottle stoppers, darts, bowls, and other items. So I went to a local store yesterday and the gentleman told me that I needed to sharpen my cutters (huh?). Shows you how clueless I am.

So I have a set of HSS cutters and I'm looking for a recommendation for a bench grinder for sharpening the tools. 6 inch or 8 inch? One speed or variable speed? A particular model that is ummm errr low cost.

Oh... and any recommendations for meeting up with folks in the Chicagoland area?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome, originally from Palatine.

Now, we have an IAP chapter in Milwaukee (WI) where you are certainly welcome!!
Next meeting is December 2 (IIRC---watch for announcements in the Wisconsin chapter forum---Dave D (ssajn) is our coordinator and does a GREAT job of keeping us all informed!!!

Look forward to seeing you!!
Ed

eliasbboy

Welcome! I've lived all over the suburbs and now reside in the far southwest suburbs. Out by the Chicagoland Speedway.

pauly99

Thanks all. I sure recognize some of the suburbs mentioned. Was just turned on to this website the other day, so I'll be reading through the threads in the coming weeks.

Any recommendations for a bench grinder (on the cheap) for sharpening tools?

eldee

Paul, the only bench grinder that I'm familiar with is the 8" low speed sold by Woodcraft. It normally sells for $125, and goes down closer to $100 when it's on sale. It works fine, but there may be better options.

welcome from the mitten. I would try craigs list in your area for a used one first, be sure it is a low speed so you dont heat up your tools too much. Also, find a turner in your area through the AAW( if you join or not, you will find clubs in your area) or through Woodcraft (or ED4COPIES here can suggest someone in your area) and have someone show you HOW to sharpen.

eliasbboy

I have a NON recommendation for a grinder. A few years ago I bought a cheapy Ryobi grinder form Home Depot and the thing has more wobbles than a one legged drunk.

Top Bottom