Hello from Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheCat041

Hello everyone, I live about 40 km south of Melbourne and I am an ex-serviceman who battles day to day with PTSD. I have struggled with it 1998 and was medically discharged in 2000. Since then I have gone from job to job and finding it harder and harder to keep one, so now I do not bother. I love my family very much and to be honest if it was not for them I would not be here anymore. I love camping, fishing, photography, reading and writing and woodwork and metal fabrication etc. I receive a medical pension so I only need to supplement it to pay the bills etc so I make a few things with my router table and sell them at markets. I have just ordered a brand new Vicmarc VL240 Lathe and can't wait to receive it. I applied for a government grant to buy the lathe and a few other items such as a bandsaw, dust collection unit and a metal lathe as well. So now I will be turning bowls, platters and urns and legs for tables etc as well. Once I get settled and turned a few items I will post them for everyone to see. I want to give pen turning a go as well in the near future so be prepared for lots of questions. Sorry for the long introduction, but I just wanted everyone to know what makes me happy and keeps me tackling each day as it comes. Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Lord, from Up the Road a Bit, In Sydney.
I look forward to seeing some of your work in the Future.
Best wishes for you and your new Venture.
You will find a Lot of Information and Assistance from the IAP and the Members.
Brian.

magpens

Welcome to IAP !!!!

Pen-turning, etc., should be good therapy for you and help you cope with your disability which I feel sorry you have to deal with.

Glad to read that you bought a metal lathe also. . You will find it very useful ... even for turning pens ! . That's all I ever use. Please tell me which make/ model you bought

I used to live in Adelaide

robutacion

Welcome to the IAP family from South Australia...!

Generally, army pensions give's you lots of financial restrictions so, I'm not surprised that you need to supplement that with some extra earnings to make life a little more bearable, huh...?:)

I can see that you are finding ways to get the tools/equipment you need and that is great but, what are you doing for materials? if wood turning is your priority...?

Do you have access to trees/logs/slabs...?

I can give you a few hints of what to do to get wood from around you...!:biggrin:

Best of luck.

Cheers
George

TheCat041

Hi everyone, many thanks for the welcoming, really put a smile on my dial :)

In regards to obtaining material for wood turning I can source from a couple of places but any help from you George to suggestions would be appreciated. My lathe that I have ordered is the NEW Vicmarc VL240 Swivel Head Lathe.

The metal lathe is the OPTIMUM TU-2506V-20M Lathe & Mill Drill Combination Package 250 x 550mm Included BF-20AV Mill Head. Ordering that next week.

https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/TU-2506V-20M-Lathe-Mill-Drill-Combination-Packag/206981/

VL300ESVX (short bed) Specifications

Shall touch base again tomorrow guys.

Goodnight

Top Bottom