Hello all, beginner from Ontario looking for a push in the right direction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ShallowJam

Hello everyone at IAP,

I've been a fountain pen collector for a little over a year now and am getting into making my own. I don't have a great deal of experience at the lathe, but I've always been proficient at working with my hands and am a quick study. I am in the process of tracking down a second-hand lathe and some other tools but am not sure whats good for what I want to do. Likewise, I'm having trouble finding how to do the techniques I want and what tools are required. I'm hoping some one could point me in the right direction to ask these kinds of questions because I'm not sure what forum I should be asking these questions in. A lot of advice seems to be about kit pens, and I'm not incredibly interested in that kind of pen, I want to do full acrylic grip/cap/body.

Thanks for your help, and Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hello everyone at IAP,

I've been a fountain pen collector for a little over a year now and am getting into making my own. I don't have a great deal of experience at the lathe, but I've always been proficient at working with my hands and am a quick study. I am in the process of tracking down a second-hand lathe and some other tools but am not sure whats good for what I want to do. Likewise, I'm having trouble finding how to do the techniques I want and what tools are required. I'm hoping some one could point me in the right direction to ask these kinds of questions because I'm not sure what forum I should be asking these questions in. A lot of advice seems to be about kit pens, and I'm not incredibly interested in that kind of pen, I want to do full acrylic grip/cap/body.

I might be able to assist you in tracking down a lathe. Ontario is a large province and I have no idea where you might be at!:)

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's one in London ON that I nearly bought. Full size and a great fixer-upper if you are into that!

In the event this post gets deleted, email me and I will provide you the info that way!
Delta 1460 Lathe

BSea

Welcome from Arkansas. You should contact Watch_Art on this forum. He started out similarly to you. I think he made 50 custom pens before he ever made a kit pen. He also came from a pen collector's background before making his own pens.

ShallowJam

Looked up watch art on the members list, and he is Shawn Newton from Newton pens! wow! he is very well known in the fountain pen collecting community and I've seen him on reddit a few times.

ShallowJam

Mack - that lathe does look impressive, although I'm unsure of what kind of investment it would be to get it running. Time I have no issue with, how much it would cost would be my concern. Most obvious is the need for a motor, which is another $50 I would assume. I'm not sure what 'tools' are included in the kijiji ad i linked, but I just don't want to get a lathe thats more than I need. I'm happy to pay the extra $100 or so if its worth it.

robutacion

Hello everyone at IAP,

G'day mate, welcome from the land of the Kangaroos...!

Whilst IAP has a great Library, another great source of info is the You-Tube videos, they offer supper detail on what to do and what to do it with...!

Look luck,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom