Hello from Alaska and Michigan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chemfun

I am currently teaching in Alaska, and travel to MI in the summer. Two years ago I wanted to make a shaving brush handle. I found a old wood worker with a lathe and he showed me a few things. All summer I made some shavings and got a few good handles. I LOVE the brush, but I only need one (and extras didn't get any good hits on straightrazorplace.com).

I started making pens last summer. What a blast. I have seen my pen quality greatly increase and my finishing skills also getting better. My son found it interesting, and through the correspondence school in AK, we got a small $200 lathe in Alaska. Thus far we have ordered some kits from PSI, and my son has been selling some pens (slimline) for about $20 with cocobolo or goncalo alves. I asked a made a christmas present for a friend up here. Upon looking at the pen/pencil set I was amazed at how I was unhappy with the finish now that I've improved a bit. I told him I needed to make a new pen, and he requested bethlehem olive. Upon ordering some, I also got some vertex starter kits from PSI with my son's last kit order. LOVED THEM! Since I don't have an outlet for pen sales, I was going to list on ebay.

Is there another pen kit type I should consider for selling on ebay? I like the zen (only have seen pictures thus far, never ordered a kit), and my wife LOVED the magnetic vertex fountain.

Are there other websites I should consider? (either for ordering or sales) There are so many options, and I've seen questions about quality. It all seems subjective. I would love some advice on how to recover costs for my hobby (as I'm sure you all would as well), or other sources for buying high quality kits.

-Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

Welcome to the IAP there are beautiful pens around here all the time. Wait and look you will see plenty you will love.

Charlie_W

Welcome from Virginia!

There are several venders here on IAP as well as others to choose from.
Just to list a few: Classic Nib, Exotic Blanks, Smitty's Pen Works, Lazerlinez, Craft Supplies USA, PSI, Berea Hardwoods, Arizona Sillhouette, Bear Tooth Hardwoods, Woodcraft, William WoodWrite. Timberbits, Wood Turningz, Golden Nib, B G Artforms, Silver Pen Parts,..........

That should get you started!

healeydays

Welcome from NH. Interesting time to be in Alaska. I think I'd rather have the Michigan winters over whats up there...

Mike B

Top Bottom