Hello: Advice on metal lathe for pen turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CAS

I have been turning pens for several years now with the component/ kits and have started a website.
I would like to start turning complete pens with a metal lathe. I am looking for advice on which lathe and tools to get. I would like to get one that I don't have to upgrade in a year.

What resources would you recommend?

Attachments

• 14973695235741945306545.jpg
    14973695235741945306545.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might set a budget, the one you wont have to upgrade in a year is subject to what else you will use it for. I recomend as a minimum 7 x 16 if its only going to be used occasionally for pen parts. If you want to step it up a notch the 8 x 16, 9x 20 and then the 12 x36. If you go with a 12x36 Either Grizzly or Precision Mathews you wont upgrade for a very very long time. You might find an Older American Made lathe like the Atlas/Craftsman, Logan, SouthBend Lathes but you should know what your looking at for wear and tear or know someone who can advise you. Since you asked what lathe I will take it you would need some advice and I would stay away from them. There are some great deals but you can easily buy an expensive boat anchor. I would not recomend the Taig, Unimat, or Sherline lathes for a beginner unless you find one really really cheap. There are people that really like the 11 x 28 Precision Mathews with the 1 1/2 inch spindle bore. Tooling will almost double the cost the lathe. Be prepared.

I just recently replied to a thread much like this one. Check out what people were saying over here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/little-machine-shop-sieg-c3-148747/

I have a little baby Grizzly 7x12 lathe that I've been making rings on for the past two years. I've had to put about $100 into it so far (not including tolling which i have about $5,000 in). I can't complain about this, the little $500 lathe runs between 5-12 hours most every week day, and often on weekends as well. I would gladly drop another $600 for the use I have gotten out of this lathe so far. The cheap plastic gears snapped me when I bound up the machine a few months back, and i just replaced the tailstock threads as they had been almost entirely worn out over use. I am looking to upgrade to a Grizzly G0752Z (10x22) 10" x 22" Variable-Speed Lathe with DRO | Grizzly Industrial as I'd like to take on some larger projects, and the extra horse power behind this lathe would make for a lot of help. I am also really wanting a DRO which this model comes with. Also the built in gear box would be a huge improvement.

Reactions: CAS

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Charles !!

Your best resource for a small metal lathe and accessories is LittleMachineShop.com

Please give us the address of your website.

Last edited:

magpens

How are you going with your metal-turning lathe selection ?

You will never be sorry you have a metal-turning lathe.

Here are some tips on using small metal lathes:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

In my opinion, the best small bench top metal-turning lathe is the Hi-Torque lathe from Little Machine Shop. I have been using a Sieg C3 (LMS sells that too) for 7+ years, made 750 pens of all types with it. But I wish I had a Hi-Torque (which wasn't available at the time I bought).

If you have won the lottery recently, try this:

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom