Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hi Everyone,

I've been interested in fountain pens since I got my first Twsibi 530 but haven't had the time to really get into it yet.

I'm away from home at school for a few months, which leaves me without any tools so I've been picking up some blanks and toying with some drawings to help satisfy the itch to make things.

I have no experience working with wood, but I have converted both a hobby-grade lathe and mill to CNC.

dsc0767o.jpg

Other side
My workshop is pretty quirky but I'm comfortable on the machines.

I have made one pen in the past - this was entirely kitless, I turned and melted all the aluminium/glass.

dsc0024u.jpg

Unfortunately a glass nib exposes a large amount of the ink to the air so the nib would dry out if left not writing for more than a minute or so.

I'm sketching up drawings for a piston filler but I won't be able to machine anything for a few months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Ryan, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

Manny

Very nice. Would be cool to put the grooves on the inside of the nib thus protecting it from the air. I am excited to see your future work. Welcome.
Manny

76winger

If that pen is your beginning work, I too look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. Welcome from Indiana!

weasel1219

Welcome from deep South Texas, and may I say, I am impressed with the machines
on your photo...and especially that great looking pen, echo what 76winger said.

Top Bottom