Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodworker

Hi Folks,

My name is Will. I live in South Florida in a condominium. After 40 years with either a shop or two car garage to operate from, the move to a condo was tough on the wood working. My son got all the big tools. I brought some small stuff and set up in a converted breakfast nook which is also my computer room. My drill press is now a small jewelers style table top. When I decided to give pen making a try, I did some jury-rigging, laid the drill press on it's side and created a very small single purpose (pen turning) lathe.

I've made about 30 pens or so just for fun, giving the best ones away. Dust control is my biggest challenge, but I'm really enjoying my miniature shop. When the administrators give me an album account, I might post a couple of pictures.

Thanks to all you old timers who post. I've learned a lot.

Will

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Welcome will. That's pretty creative. Get yourself a Jet mini VS and you'll never look back... Do you have a built-in vac in your Condo? If so, this would be more quiet than a dust collector. Worst point is the sanding, this is the finest dust.

woodworker

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

To: jwoodwright- I wish I did have a built-in vac here. What I use is a little "Scorpion Dirt Devil" that sounds like the wrath of God. I would love a Jet Mini but it is actually 9 inches longer than my present set up.

To: Proud_Poppa_of_2- By "old timers", I really meant everyone here other than me (the newbie). Age is mostly in your head as long as you stay away from mirrors and ignore the pain in your joints.:)

Still no Album account. If it doesn't show up in a few days, I might email the administrators with a request.

jhs494

Welcome Will!
Nice idea with the drill press, a little custom engineering always makes things possible.

I am looking forward to seeing your pens.

Originally posted by woodworker

To: Proud_Poppa_of_2- By "old timers", I really meant everyone here other than me (the newbie). Age is mostly in your head as long as you stay away from mirrors and ignore the pain in your joints.:)

I knew what you meant, Will. I was just needling my older (but wiser) colleagues. At 50 years old, I'm a relative youngester on this site. I agree with your observation, though. My head tells me I'm only 35. My mirror tells me something else. Time to get a new mirror, I guess.

Originally posted by woodworker

Finally got my photo album this morning. Posted 5 pictures for anyone curious.

Thanks again for all the "Welcomes."

That's a remarkable shop/office combo you have there, Will. Now you've got me feeling selfish for complaining to the wife that our two-car garage isn't big enough for my equipment and her car.

I like your pens, too. Keep it up.

RonInSpringTX

Welcome Will from Spring,TX!!! I compliment you on your work!!! Very nice pens!!! Especially considering your work area!!
I was gonna suggest the little portable dust collector that Sears sells, it has a metal tubing support with a hood on it. You can sometimes find it on sale for around $150. I use it on my Jet mini w/stand & the height of hood is almost perfect. But I dunno if you could rig it to your work area!!! good luck!!

take care, Ronnie

Top Bottom