Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aldjmc

Hello everyone. I am Gus from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I have zero experience with turning pens. Heck, I don't even own a lathe! I am hoping that by browsing this community I can get ideas about what equipment I should be looking for and the knowledge needed for me to actually make an attempt!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Welcome aboard.

There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

Above all, HAVE FUN!!

Yablonsky

Welcome...I know what you're talking about. Just bought my setup from PSI and pretty happy with the lathe. I might have made a choice on buying the lathe and everything separately, but I'm happy with what I got. The only thing not truly happy with was the turning tools. The chisels are nice, but you have to swap out the tips to do different things...making it a little bit of a pain. I just purchased some nicer turning tools and has three handles, so I won't have to swap anymore.

I really like that they included a good small selection of pen kits to start with as well as some woods. Small selection of wood, but it gets you turning the first day.

I've been buying all kinds of pen kits and blanks since...gets kind of addicting real quick as you get ideas and ooohs and aaaahhhs...I like this and I like that and so on.

Good luck on choosing your lathe and tools and kits and ENJOY turning!!!

Ken

Yablonsky

Some more feedback....I just got some new turning tools...with replaceable carbide tips and also the bar-stock Toolrest. My goodness, but these two together make a HUGE difference. The original Toolrest had some minor nick and was catching the cutting tools as I was turning. With the new toolrest, I'm seeing much better results in cutting the blank down and much smoother cuts all-together.

Ken

JimB

To get started, go to the Library (one of the blue boxes at the top of the page) and then click on Turning 101 and you will find several links with great info to get you started.

Top Bottom