Greetings from the west of Ireland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

efitz

Hi all,

Having spent the last 20 years in manufacturing and retail management, I've decided I need a hobby (which I will enjoy during retirement in about 25 years time - so I've plenty of time to practice).

I'm a complete newbie to wood turning but I'm really enjoying it. I will post photos when I move all my gear from an old (drafty) 8ftx4ft wooden shed to a purpose built 13ftx7ft block shed. I'm in the process of drylining it and soon will have power - no more extension leads into the house. I'm trying to rig up a 1000 watt bagless vaccuum cleaner to handle dust extraction from the lathe. Any tips would be appreciated.

Eamonn.

broitblat

Welcome, Eamonn.

I figure I'll have plenty of time to practice, too. After what the economy has been doing, I doubt I've ever retire :-(

-Barry

darrin1200

Welcome to the forum

Hope you get your lathe up and running. Maybe you could try your hand at the PITH. I know I would love to see more people from across the great pond.
This is my first exchange. I have been turning for about 6 months now. I think this will be a great oportunity to show and learn from others.

efitz

Welcome to the forum

Hope you get your lathe up and running. Maybe you could try your hand at the PITH. I know I would love to see more people from across the great pond.
This is my first exchange. I have been turning for about 6 months now. I think this will be a great oportunity to show and learn from others.

Just got some timber from an old church that is being renovated (Old oak beams). When I get some blanks cut, I'll submit one for PITH.

Eamonn.

darrin1200

Just got some timber from an old church that is being renovated (Old oak beams). When I get some blanks cut, I'll submit one for PITH.

Eamonn.

The PITH is actually an international exchange event.

It is where beginers and pros are all thrown into a hat and then randomly p aired up to exchange pens. Beginners are more than welcome.n Check the thread out.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64945

leaycraft

Welcome- from NJ- Have many found memories and friends from up in Westport (Salmon Fishing). Enjoy, have fun and make sure to look thru the IAP library here- Lots of good Info.

John

keithkarl2007

Welcome from up the road. If your ever around Tullamore or near Tyrellspass in Westmeath give me a shout and I'll sort you out with a few blanks and kits. I have a couple of pen mills also if you need one

chiefgreen

Hello Eamonn, I am also new to IAP. I have been turning pens since 2005 after seeing a demonstration at a local woodshop. The pens where sent to the troops overseas. It was fascinating to watch the piece of wood change to a pen. I know you will find this an interesting hobby as I have. Your plans to retire and turn pens struck home. I retired last Jan. and turning as many pens as I can. My wife does geneology and has recently found my grandmothers kin (Ormsby's) come from Sligo. By the map, a bit more than a 100 km from you.
Best of luck on the shop and have a great time turning.
Steve (Chiefgreen) Green

efitz

Welcome Eamonn, congratulations on your new workshop and your retirement.

Not retired yet - just getting in some training for retirement. The way the economy is going now in Ireland, it could be even sooner. However there is an idea by the government that the official retirement age may be increased from 65 to 70 or even 72!

efitz

Welcome- from NJ- Have many found memories and friends from up in Westport (Salmon Fishing). Enjoy, have fun and make sure to look thru the IAP library here- Lots of good Info.

John
Try the Corrib for fishing - very peaceful at this time of the year.

PR_Princess

Welcome Eamonn!!!! Turning is a great hobby, and there is no better place to start than the IAP. You will find lots great information and make many friends here. :biggrin:

BKelley

Welcome Eamonn,

Glad to have you with us. Should the ocaision arise, I would be glad to give any assistance that I can. Can you tell me anything about blackthorn?

Ben Kelley

efitz

Welcome Eamonn,

Glad to have you with us. Should the ocaision arise, I would be glad to give any assistance that I can. Can you tell me anything about blackthorn?

Ben Kelley

My parents have one growing in their back garden - lovely flowers every April. Make good shillelaghs - my grandfather had one he used as a walking stick and keeping the young lads out of his orchard:).

More information here:
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about798.html

It would be interesting to try to make some blanks from it but I've never seen a big tree - only as part of hedges.

E.

keithkarl2007

My parents have one growing in their back garden - lovely flowers every April. Make good shillelaghs - my grandfather had one he used as a walking stick and keeping the young lads out of his orchard:).

More information here:

It would be interesting to try to make some blanks from it but I've never seen a big tree - only as part of hedges.

E.

Its pretty nice stuff. There was a craft show in Tullamore a while back and a woodturner from Donegal had a lovely lampshade turned from it

Russianwolf

More information here:

E.

I've seen one guy selling blanks on ebay a couple years ago. he sold all he had and I haven't seen him since.

Top Bottom