Greetings from South Texas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guardian_0005

First off, thank you for allowing me to be a part of the site. I've been lurking around for awhile now and decided it's probably in my best interest to go ahead and join. :) A bit of background. I've only been doing turning work for about 8 months now. I came into a Shopsmith 520 (No snide remarks you.) :cool: I'm 33 years young but I have a special place in my heart for American made machines that last. Anyway, first thing I turned when I got it setup, trued, and dialed in was a key chain for my wife. Then a bowl out of canary wood, followed shortly by my first pen. I'm hooked. I've tuned somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 items from pens to bowls to razors to stoppers. Not bad for a guy with a full time job and a family. I'll have to post some of my work when I get a chance so I can tap into the plethora of knowledge here.

I'm an Army vet and work for the government as of this posting so I hold a very deep respect and appreciation for those who have served and those who directly support our veterans. I say this because I came across your pens for service members section and I think you all are awesome for doing that. Kudos.

Anyway, I look forward to putting something into and getting much more out of IAP. Thanks again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Welcome aboard from soon-to-be-not-so-sunny Corpus Christi!

Thanks for your service to our country and citizens!

What part of STX are you in?

Cmiles1985

HA! Closer than you think sir. Actually in Corpus myself. A recent transplant to the area. Almost a year now.

That's fantastic! There aren't many of us Corpus Christians on here. I've lived here my whole life...fifteen days short of thirty years. A couple of us had a small get together a few weeks ago, and I don't know when our next one will be. That was just a group (all three of us) of penturners. Since you're into other turnings as well, there is a woodturning club that meets the second Saturday of every month at Parkway Presbyterian. March 14th will be sort of "open lathe day" and I'll be showing some of the older guys about turning between centers. If you're available, come join us!

guardian_0005

HA! Closer than you think sir. Actually in Corpus myself. A recent transplant to the area. Almost a year now.

That's fantastic! There aren't many of us Corpus Christians on here. I've lived here my whole life...fifteen days short of thirty years. A couple of us had a small get together a few weeks ago, and I don't know when our next one will be. That was just a group (all three of us) of penturners. Since you're into other turnings as well, there is a woodturning club that meets the second Saturday of every month at Parkway Presbyterian. March 14th will be sort of "open lathe day" and I'll be showing some of the older guys about turning between centers. If you're available, come join us!

Well that's pretty fantastic to hear! I thought I might be the only one in the area lol. Unfortunately bud, I have one of those jobs that doesn't afford me much of a life but I'll have to look at my "always subject to change" schedule. TBC, that's the first thing I learned lol. I read some where it should be the first thing to get the hang of as it isn't likely to end in injury. Which by the way, I've had one incident of already. It involved a 12" bowl, a skew chisel, and my face. Moral of the story, my lathe doesn't go on without my shield or at the very least some eye pro. ;)

Cmiles1985

Well that's pretty fantastic to hear! I thought I might be the only one in the area lol. Unfortunately bud, I have one of those jobs that doesn't afford me much of a life but I'll have to look at my "always subject to change" schedule. TBC, that's the first thing I learned lol. I read some where it should be the first thing to get the hang of as it isn't likely to end in injury. Which by the way, I've had one incident of already. It involved a 12" bowl, a skew chisel, and my face. Moral of the story, my lathe doesn't go on without my shield or at the very least some eye pro. ;)

I have a similar job (refining), and like you say, safety first! If you do get a chance to make it, it'd be great! One local lady brings a truckload of wood from her mill in Kingsville, there's a show and tell, a raffle, etc. Other than that, I'll let you know when is pen guys set up another get together. I'll be moving to Aransas Pass in a few weeks (at least I think that's the timeline), and I'll have a much larger shop. I'll be hosting a get together towards the end of the summer...once it cools down some! I may have a quick shop day before then. I'll let you know!

guardian_0005

I have a similar job (refining), and like you say, safety first! If you do get a chance to make it, it'd be great! One local lady brings a truckload of wood from her mill in Kingsville, there's a show and tell, a raffle, etc. Other than that, I'll let you know when is pen guys set up another get together. I'll be moving to Aransas Pass in a few weeks (at least I think that's the timeline), and I'll have a much larger shop. I'll be hosting a get together towards the end of the summer...once it cools down some! I may have a quick shop day before then. I'll let you know!

Sounds like a plan bud. I'm all about actually watching someone use the tools of trade besides Youtube.... That's how I've learned what I have lol. Would be nice to actually see it up close, ask questions, etc. Thanks for the hospitality everyone. Much appreciated.

flyitfast

Welcome from another Texas neighbor. I'm up the road in San Antonio.
If you are ever in San Antonio come visit our Alamo Chapter of IAP. We meet at Woodcraft on the first Thur of the month at 6:30.
gordon

guardian_0005

Welcome from another Texas neighbor. I'm up the road in San Antonio.
If you are ever in San Antonio come visit our Alamo Chapter of IAP. We meet at Woodcraft on the first Thur of the month at 6:30.
gordon

I will probably have to make that a note in my calendar as well. I've been meaning to take a trip up there to visit wood craft. Thanks.

plano_harry

Welcome from Plano! Thanks for your service!

Lots of good turners in your area to learn from. Sounds like you are already pretty far along!

Top Bottom