Greetings from South Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Hi everyone, I'm Pat from Lexington, SC and while I've been a member of this forum since early last year I have only been lurking. I haven't really introudced myself and jumped in and benefited from all the wonderful resources and helpful sharing I have seen here. So, now that I have gained a little more confidence in my woodturning skills I hope to be more active. I just completed my first bullet shell casig pens this week and also turned my first piece of deer antler for a top. (Wow that antler can really stink!) and. . I'm not sure what to put on it as a finish.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Hi Pat, I am up the road a little ways too, but I went to Irmo HS so I know Lexington well (or used to)

Skye

Everyone knows Lexington... well all us BBQ fans anyhow!

Antler is some fun stuff to turn because it looks great and people can't believe what it is when you tell them. I'd finish it with CA, but depending on if you hit any 'marrow' or not, I'd use thin or medium. Medium if it's non-porous and looks smooth. If it's porous I'd put plenty of thin CA on it to seal it up, build up the surface, then try to finish it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Pat. I know the feeling that you expressed - it sure helps to have a little experience under the belt before posting or talking. Looks like you have it down fine with a shell casing pen. I haven't done one yet, but then I am not allowed to have one here in Japan either.

Below is a link to a PDF overview of tools and helps. Looks like you are already going well but there might be a thing or two in the PDF that is helpful.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Skye, I has a patch of porus area and I wasn't sure about CA though I have used it on other wood pieces. So before this post I sprayed some clear shelac. I don't know yet if it will work as I let it dry overnight and haven't gotten back out to the shop.
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Hank, I was so surpirsed that there wasn't any Lathe turning involved, just drilling 7mm holes, glueing in the brass tube and assemble and press in the parts as usual.
I have heard from a couple folks that they send a wooden replica of the bullet pens overseas and then present a real bullet pen when the receipant returns home. Best to you while in Japan. Thanks for your welcom.
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Bruce, Thanks for the Welcome and I Know Night-Six is NOT an unknow community as I lived in Anderson, SC for 15 years and have been to Ninety Six on several occassions. Look forward to our IAP excahnges
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Hans, You live in a great location and I often regrete not moving back to the Upstate. We oven a lake lot on Hartwell. I lived in Anderson for 15 years and have visited Ware Shoals a couple times. LOve the area. Thanks for your welcome.
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Rick, thanks for the Welcome. I see you are most active on the Forum and know you have a lot to offer. Thought I saw a post from you about powder coating the bullet pens. I've got to learn more about that. What large cityis Pliot Mt, NC near?
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Jim, thanks for your kind Welcome from the Great State of Ohio. I got stuck druing a bad storm t the Cincinati Airport. Had good time at the bar there to pass the time ha ha, Also fimilar with the YMCA's up there, great organization. Looking forward to our IAP exchanges
Pat

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Longfellow - Ken, Thanks for the Sunny Welcome form Florida. I a native Floridian form Ft. Pierce and still have a little "sand in my shoes" Great to have you welcome me. Pat

jedgerton

Welcome Pat. I'm a displaced South Carolinian, currently in Austin Tx. I grew up in Florence. Welcome to the site and enjoy some of that SC BBQ for me!

John

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks John. GO TIGERS! My wife works for Clemson so we're big fans. And yes, I'll eat your share of good ole SC BBQ, though I have had some mighty fine Texas BBQ. Look forward to our IAP eschanges.
Pat

Top Bottom