Greetings from Social Circle Georgia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Hello everyone. Woodworking has been one of my hobbies for over 30 years, but I only recently purchased a lathe and began turning. Why I waited so long is beyond me. In just a few short weeks I have become addicted to woodturning, and most recently pen making. I have only made four pens and a few bottle stoppers so far, but I'm already hooked. The two pen photos I've attached are my most recent effort (yesterday). Despite the advice of the good people over at our local Rockler store, I jumped into acrylics after making only two other wood barrel pens. I actually found these acrylic blanks easier to turn than wood.

Attachments

• PN003-CIG-A.jpg
    PN003-CIG-A.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 158
  • PN004-CIG-E.JPG
    PN004-CIG-E.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nice pens and WELCOME! You will find that your background in WW will help a lot for turning pens. You are already familiar with most of the other machines that help out in the addition. The one thing that I think I started using more in turning pens (besides the lathe,) is the calipers for measuring.

I am posting links to two threads/articles that might be helpful. The first one is a PDF file that is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome! We have both a turning club (Peach State Woodturners that meets in Oxford, GA) and a Southeast Pen Chapter in your area. The turning club has several members from the Social Circle area. The Southeast Pen Chapter will be meeting on December 19th at the Woodcraft store in Roswell.

We hope to see ya there!

larryc

I'm also new in penturning - (just bought a used lathe yesterday).
There are sure seems to be a lot of us in Georgia!
Must be all the DRY weather we've had lately:biggrin:

watchman7

Welcome from Cumming, GA. You should plan to atten the Southeast Chapter meeting in December. It is at the Woodcraft Store in Alpharetta. Look in the Local Chapter section for information.

Good looking pens BTW.

Bobalu

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and your kind comments on my first couple of pens. I look forward to meeting some of you when I attend the next IAP Southeastern Chapter meeting, which I just learned is held at the Atlanta Woodcraft store.

Hank, the links were very helpful. I had already read your "Getting Started in Penturning" article, but I read it again and printed it out for the information binder I'm putting together. The other link was quite informative, as well. Thanks for passing them along.

Top Bottom