Greetings from Reno Nevada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mallbee

Mike Allbee here. I'm getting ready to get started in turning and I'm really glad I found this forum. The wealth of experience and information here has already been informative and educational and I've just scratched the surface. I can see myself getting addicted to this really easy.

A little about me. I've been dabbling in woodworking all of my life. My dad had a really nice shop and he taught me a lot. I haven't done any turning since my teenage years but I've always wanted to do so.

When I was married and raising a family I did some projects around the house but never could find the time or money to really do a lot. My wife left me 7 years ago and getting into wood crafts on a much larger scale has been my goal ever since. The only thing really holding me back is that I have been living in apartments ever since.

I've finally decided that the studio apartment I'm in now is laid out perfectly to set up a small turning studio and I plan to have this thing set up in the next month or two. Dust and noise mitigation are obvious priorities here but with a lathe, bandsaw, drill press and a few other tools I figure the noise won't be a huge factor. The building I'm in has really good sound deadening between units and I'm going to get some acoustic panels and make boxes to help deaden the noise and help with dust containment. I'm going to get a good shop vac and run pvc to the machines for dust control as well as building a "tent" over my lathe and bandsaw to contain the dust.

I'll post some pictures before and after once I get it going. I'm really excited about finally finding a way to get back into this and look forward to years of fun with a hobby I've always enjoyed. Creating things with wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rockb

Hey Mike, you are definitely in the right place. IAP is the center of the pen turning world ..I think... ; ) and so many friendly guys willing to share years of knowledge.
Enjoy, Rocky
BTW, we're almost neighbors.....Redding, CA

Top Bottom