Greetings from Ohio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike anderson

I've been turning pens for a year now .. Seems like there's NO "only one way" to make them .. Just better way's !! .. What is the differance in the plastic on "see thru" plastic pen blanks .. Just turned a carbon fiber pen and a computer chip pen .. Both just chatter and chip on the lathe .. I'm using sharp tools .. ( I think)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Mike - Welcome to the forum (from a "displaced" buckeye. Grew up in Cleveland (west sider).

Re your Q - There are many different plastics and they all seem to behave differently. I've done both of what you mention and, yes, they can chip. Try "riding the bevel" and taking real light cuts if you're using a skew. I've had good luck on these with the new carbide tools.

Chattering is something I have difficulty with, also. But the surface irregularities can be eliminated during sanding/polishing. Just leave a little extra to compensate for this.

Good luck!

Welcome from the mitten.
There is an OHIO local chapter, check it out in the local chapter forums area. There are some experienced people there who may be able to help you in person.
Please add your zip code to your profile if you haven't done so.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Welcome from Elyria. Light cuts, sharp tools. Cut from the ends to the middle. We have a local chapter that will meet in August. Maybe we can do a demo on how to turn plastic.

Top Bottom