Greetings From Kennett Square PA!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr Robert

Hello Everybody!! Great to be here!! My wife and I have recently relocated and have retired from the practice of dentistry. Actually "rewired" rather than retired. For the past year I have been a partime pen turner, self taught and learning by leaps and bounds. I now have more time on my hands and have accumulated more armamentarium and have experimented with techniques in pen turning. This accumulation is leading me toward stabilizing my own wood via vacuum technique and pressurized acrylic blanks. I'm buying more and more but am unsure where this is leading. Should I plan on selling or content with the hobby aspect only and giveaways? Has anyone else gone through this transition??
Dr Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Dr Robert.

There is a wide range of motivations for turning here on the forum. For some of us, it's just a hobby and we pretty much just make things for family & friends or charities. Some do casual selling and many are quite serious about their selling. Whichever approach you decide is right for you, you will find plenty of answers to your questions and help here.

I hope you will join in on some of the activities & contests in our upcoming BASH celebration. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edgar

Hawkdave

G'Day Dr Robert, and welcome to IAP.

It is good that you have something to get your teeth into after retiring...:biggrin:

I started out much the same way and became attached to some of the pens that I made. The only problem with that is, my friends and relatives also became attached to them as well. I finished up either giving them the pens or selling them. The good part about this is, I am now gaining more experience as I go and my pens are starting to look more adventurous. The ones I really like now get put away.
I am now a casual seller and this helps pay for all of the bits and pieces to keep me turning.

Dave.

randyrls

Robert; Welcome! As others have said you should do what you feel is right! I've been to Longwood Gardens several times and wished I lived closer.

You live close to Penn State Industries, and if I lived that close, my wallet would be in severe danger! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Magicbob

Welcome from beautiful Akron, Ohio.

We all started out giving them away (probably because no one would buy the early ones, or at least mine) Then we started getting into more and more of an investment.
I think some of us sell just to help pay for more, I know I do.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Welcome from Richmond. You're not too far away to come to MAPG! Join us in May. It will be fun and you can buy more stuff.

jecinco

Hello from GA

Welcome. Grew up just down the road in Dowingtown (MID 60's to early 90's) and spend the last 15 years in SW PA (Beaver County PA). Now living in GA and not missing the cold.....at least until June went it never gets below 95......

Top Bottom