Greetings/intro:Happycat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

happycat

Greetings! I'm new to this forum and this hobby. I am a social worker and work in a mental health clinic in rural New York state. My primary hobby is bladesmithing and I am more recently getting into more blacksmithing projects. I gradually became aware of penturning while looking for handle material for knives online. Kept seeing all these damm pen turning blanks (which are usually just smaller than what I need...;-(
I am a bit of a pen junkie and have got one in my hand all day long at work, so I am in a never ending search for the perfect pen (or at least more comfortable, interesting etc than what I've currently got). It just occured to me that this is exactally how i got into knife making...
Anyway, being a social worker (ie poor), I'm on a shoe string budget, so the lathes I've been seeing looked out of my reach, until I saw the drill press lathe that Penn State Industries offers. I asked for and got it for Christmas.
So that's where I'm at so far. I'm looking thru the Penn State Industries catalog to see what else I need to get going.
So far it looks like this: 1. a mandrel to fit the drill press lathe
2. Some lathe tools to turn with.
3. Some pen kits
4. 7mm Barrell trimmer
Wood I've got. I'm sure I can set up a drilling jig. I've got lots of sand paper, finishing suplies etc.
If anybody reading this happens to see any gaping holes in my starter list here, please let me know..... I'm looking forward to getting going with pens. I love working with good tools. If its a tool I made myself, its even better. The pen is my primary "tool" at work, so I think I'm really going to enjoy this journey.
Be well,
Ed Wilson
(Happycat Cutlery)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Welcome, Ed!

I got my start on the drill press set up and it works pretty well.

You'll likely also want bushings to go with your chosen pen kits -- it's possible to make your own or do without, but they do speed things up quite a bit. Also, you'll need something to press fit the components together for final assumbly. A good clamp can do the trick for this step.

Cheers.

-Barry

Ligget

Welcome to the group Ed, I am a member of Caledonia Clubhouse.
http://www.caledoniaclubhouse.co.uk/

It is similar to Fountain House which was the first to start in America.
http://www.iccd.org/default.aspx

There are plenty of answers to all your penturning questions in this forum![:)]

Daniel

Other than what Berry added, I would say a way to sharpen your tools. this could be as simple as a $5.00 Harbor Freight Diamond hone, to $250 in grinders, and jigs. You can probably get a lower cost set of turning tools at HF also. they would not be as good for various reasons but still plenty good enough. Finally don't forget the drill bit for your chosen kit style. most kits use either metric drill bits or odd sized ones.

Fred

Welcome Aboard the Forum! [:D]

You mentioned getting a 7mm barrel trimmer. Don't limit yourself there, go ahead and get one of the 'kits' that has several different tube inserts as I am sure you will be making some larger diameter pens in short order.

As rherrell above puts it so plainly ... "The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed" I would also recommend that you always but the best that you can afford, even save up if necessary for something really exotic like the Tormek sharpener system.

Have a blast at this hobby! [;)]

happycat

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Daniel, I think I've got the sharpening thing covered. I make knives. Got lots of equipment to make things sharp. I am actually thinking of forging my own chisels (cheaper than buying them...). If it cuts stuff, I can build it....
I'll have to check on the bushings, they provide a 7mm bit with the mandrel, and I think some bushings as well. But I'll have to make sure. Thanks again all.
Ed

TBone

Welcome Ed, would love to see some pics of your knives as well as pens. Also welcome from another mental health worker, although from the Finance and IT side. Hope the system you're under is better than NC. They are "reforming" (translated destroying) this one.

JasonF

Howdy from Texas! I started with the same lathe and have to agree with Bob whe he said "...it does work but if you are not real carful it dosn't stop there." I moved to a little Shop Fox lathe (about $150) after about a dozen pens. One thing I held off buying for a while was micro mesh. I sanded to 2000 grit and then used a paper bag and thought (wrongly) that surely micro mesh couldn't do any better. I was amazed when I saw the difference.

Gareth

Hi Ed,

Welcome! Arn't they all a friendly bunch? I'm new as well. I used to do a bit of stick making but I am now trying my hand at pen turning. Like you,Santa was very kind to me this year and now I'm pleased to say that I have everything including a new lathe.....got the kit, all I need to do now is learn how to use it! There is so much info on this forum I'm sure you will find your answers and more importantly, support from all in your new hobby.

Happy New Year to all.

Gareth

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom