Greetings from Indiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluzcat

Hello all, my name is Mark, and I'm a pen-a-holic! I turned my first pen a little more than one year ago and I just can't to get enough. I used to do a lot of flat work......not much anymore.

A little about me; a California native, I took an offer to relocate to Bloomington, IN with the company I've been with for 20 years (I'm 41 years old). That was two years ago. It was a good time to get out of California. Anyway, I traded my suburban tract house on an 8,000 sq.ft. lot for 7 acres in rural Indiana. I bought this place because of the location and the detached work shop. Mainly the work shop. I got really lucky, 2000+ sq.ft., heat and A/C, 1/2 a bath, dedicated 200 amp service, etc.

Equipment-wise, I'm set-up mainly for flat work. Before I left California, I restored a 1955 ShopSmith ER10, and this is what led me down the dark road that is turning! Right now, I'm turning on a HF 14"x40" VS lathe, not the greatest lathe in the world. I really enjoy turning, yet I have never turned on a quality lathe.

I'm looking forward to getting involved the community here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mark,

Welcome to the IAP. It definitely sounds like a trade up in environment. (Not a slam on California, just a thumbs up for 7 acres!!)

There is a lot to be shared here knowledge-wise.

hilltopper46

Welcome from Wisconsin. We moved out to our 5-1/2 acre little piece of heaven over a year ago, and just finished a 30x36 addition onto a 24x30 shop building, so I know where you are coming from!! I have envy, though, over the heat, A/C and dedicated 200-amp service.

rej19

Welcome, Be sure and checkout the local chapters that are just beginning to form. There is going to be a Indianpolis chapter. You can find it in the forums section. A meeting should be planned soon. Lot's of fall festivals etc keeping people busy right now. I'm a new pen turner also living on the southeast side of Indy. We also own a small cabin in Brown County not to far from Bloomington. Hope to meet you soon!

P.S. I just purchased a Shopsmith MKIV this summer at a garage sell. It is like new less than a year old with several attachments. I think it was an estate situation. I have used it some for pen turning but mostly use a Jet Mini.

Ron

Top Bottom