Greetings from Fountain Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khook17

Hello All,

My time for a lathe has finally come. I was given my father-in-laws old school sears/craftsman 2 piece (motor mounts separately) a couple weeks ago and now my wife hates her mom for it. I have spent nearly every evening working with it in the shop. Looking forward to learning from everyone here as I am very new to pen turning. Below are my 1st 4 from left to right. I have ordered some products from Doctors Woodshop as I'm so far not a fan of finishing the wood with CA.

Attachments

• 2018-09-01 18.30.10.jpg
    2018-09-01 18.30.10.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Ken !! . Welcome to IAP !!!

You seem to be getting a good start before retirement !! ... I had to wait until after !

You might like to try kits other than slimlines (which are actually more difficult when starting in this addictive hobby).

I would recommend the 30 Caliber Bolt Action (a PennStateInd.com kit sold by many vendors) or the Sierra (a Berea kit) or similar (like the Gatsby from PSI and other vendors). . But you may not need this advice for beginners :)

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ken. Great start and keep on.

I was not a fan of CA at first either. I love making flat wood projects and finishing with urethane or tung oil or combinations there of. So I used waxes on my first pens. I did a beautiful pen and gave it away to a friend. Got it back in a few days with the wax gone and grime showing. Then I learned how protective the CA was on pens.

CA is not an easy finish to master for most - does take practice. It is not for everyone. Its two best characteristics are: 1. its fast (minutes) if experienced with it. 2. Very protective, hard and wear resistant.
A negative: It can cause severe allergies in some (myself included).

khook17

Thanks for all the response. I really appreciate the feedback. Here is what I have done since the last post, exponential learning curve thus far. Still have some work to do on getting a perfect turn down to the bushings. I did pick up a bowl chuck, set of pen jaws, and a drill bit chuck for the lathe, much much easier to drill out the blanks this way! Really love the products from Doctors Woodshop!

Attachments

• pens 2.jpg
    pens 2.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Pens.jpg
    Pens.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Hourglass.jpg
    Hourglass.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 89

khook17

Top Bottom