Greetings from Corona, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

allenworsham

Hey there!

I just signed up a few days ago on the recommendation of a person from the Wood Magazine forum as they have just have a few pen turners there. I have been reading a lot of posts here and lerning a lot. I just started into pen turning about a month ago after reading much about it online and looking at things at my local Rockler store. So I picked up a Jet Mini lathe as well as some basic pen supplies and did a few slimline pens. Since then I have done approximately 30 pens in various stlyes and with different woods and acrylics. Today I gave away to a friend and his wife two of my pens (Sierra our of Cocobola and a Flat Top out of Cinnamon Burl) for their birthdays and have matching Sierras to give to my sister and niece for their birthdays.

I started turning on the lathe in Jr. High and fell in love with it. I made a lot of bowls and spindles, as well as a bunch of small 16-18" bats for friends. You see, the school administrators wouldn't let us play baseball as it was too dangerous and we might get hurt. So we played on the basketball courts using a ball made of a wad of paper covered with tape. Up until a month ago, I hadn't touched a lathe since High School. That was back in 1978, so it's been awhile.But it is all coming back, just like riding a bike. I am having blast!

My goal in pen turning is for gifts and to sell a few here and there to support my costs and to pay for my other wood working projects. I plan on doing a few local craft fairs and bazaars in our local area for next next Christmas to sell pens along with some other wood working and craft items.

So I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Here are some photos of my pens.

200811462635_4%20Sierrasc.jpg

200811462656_4%20cigars-b.jpg

200811462849_Purple%20CigarB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

<center>
SmallW.jpg
SmallE.jpg
SmallL.jpg
SmallC.jpg
Smallo.jpg
Smallm.jpg
SmallE.jpg
</center>

Corona California! ... know it pretty well! I lived in So Cal most of my life... I still have friends in Corona.... if you meet the Millers tell 'em Marc said Hi [:D]

Enjoy the forum... great information to be found here!

rlharding

Allen, great pens! I was too scared to do anything but slimlines for a few years. Within a couple of weeks of joining IPA I was experimenting with all kinds of things. Everyone here is fantastic when it comes to giving advice about pens, sharing techniques and being very supporting.........when it comes to anything other than pens that's a different story![:D]

FYI the Inland Woodturners meet once a month on a Sunday in Riverside. They have a few very good pen turners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom