Greetings from Columbia, MD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

For those of you who frequent The Creek, you'll no doubt recognize my name (I tend to follow all sub-forums there), and for those who don't, well, we'll see :tongue:

I've been a laserhead for a number of years, but mid to late last year someone introduced me to the turning vortex and it grabbed my feet (followed shortly thereafter by beating me about the head and neck mercilessly). Less than 6 months ago I had nothing more than my laser, but as you can see from my sig my recent spending spree has put a few more toys in the shop.

All I wanted to do was turn a few pens, so I settled on a midi metal lathe... big enough for fun stuff, but versatile enough to do wood and metal (with careful cleaning, of course). The more I thought about it, the more I realized hollow forms sound pretty cool (I always appreciate seeing a quality HF at an art festival), so that prompted the separate wood lathe. I knew these purchases were coming soon, so the bandsaw was the first in my shop, followed by the drill press, both of which are finally on mobile bases. The lathes are still in pieces on the floor, but I hope to have that remedied within a week or so, and my first turnings were done on a friend's yellow monster... bowls, not pens, but it helps with the tool technique either way. I'm waiting for another friend to have some free time to help me build a cabinet for the CNC router (can't work with that thing sitting on the floor!).

Anyway, I figure I can use the laser to good advantage on whatever I turn (wood or metal), and I'm already putting together a system for making my own pen blanks. I have some fun ideas to try, but they were often prompted by some of the great designs seen here. I can't wait to jump in :)

:bananen_smilies051:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Dan, from far west Kentucky to the addiction. It is good of you to come in from the cold and join the 'light'.
Dan, if you have not yet explored the library here, by all means do so. The link at the top of the page will take you there. There is an index to the main library but the articles are searchable separately. Dig in and enjoy, for there is a wealth of knowledge stored there. Now, grab some wood and make shavings and remember, "No pictures, didn't happen!"
Charles

Dan Hintz

ctubbs, when I first started visiting The Creek for laser engraving, I started at Page 1 of the sub-forum and worked my way forward. It took me around 4 months of nearly 40-hr weeks to catch up to the present, but I read it all (and took copious notes). I'm a bit of an information junky (OCD?), so I love to learn about all kinds of subjects, using my science/engineering background to try and improve processes as I go (I'm even writing a book on laser materials processing, when time permits). I have already spent a bit of time reading through a number of the library's articles, and I'm tweaking my processes before I even start them ;)

LeeR, a very understanding wife who smiles, nods, and walks away shaking her head. When I brought the CNC router into the basement, the four of us moving it were already pretty beat from trudging it down the hill from the front yard. It was a bear to get through the sliding glass door, and upon realizing it wasn't going to fit through the workshop door without some serious grunt work, there was only one thing to do... whip out the SkillSaw and make the door frame wider :p Later that day she walked by, stopped, glanced over, shook her head, and kept walking. I'm sorry to say for the rest of you, her sister is already married.

Chris, lived in Laurel for a year when I first moved to MD (Russett Green area)... then I started dating the little woman and it was time to move.

Finished setting up the metal lathe's cabinet/stand this morning, so that'll probably be ready this evening. Considering it's a 3-day weekend, I'll do my best to get the wood lathe finished, too.

Top Bottom